Chapter Fourteen

Josephine

"Your horse just pooped in my horse's face."

Brooklyn turns his head, giving me an exquisite view of his profile. "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Let's switch," I suggest, using my calves to give Morveux a gentle squeeze. "I want to be in front."

"No."

The trail is too narrow to ride side-by-side. I may not know where we're going, but I can follow the path. I squeeze Morveux again. The Appaloosa quickens his pace, but refuses to pass Morgan, shaking his mane to emphasize his reluctance. I glance up, discovering Brooklyn is now twisted in his saddle, watching with amusement.

"He's not going to lead," he explains, patting Morgan's rump

"He's not going to lead," he explains, patting Morgan's rump. "Horses are herd animals. There's a certain hierarchy they adhere to. Morgan is an older, wiser mare, so she's the alpha. She'll always lead."

I gasp in mock outrage. "Who says?"

"The horses."

"When did they decide this?"

"Don't know." Brooklyn shrugs, facing forward once more. "I wasn't invited to the caucus."

We've been riding for two hours. I was sore to begin with, but now I'm wincing every time Morveux takes a step. I've tried to distract myself by appreciating nature. We wove through a blooming apple orchard, trotted across a shallow stream, and entered the western block of the Naugatuck State Forest.

This trail isn't as well-traveled as the previous one. Brooklyn makes it more difficult by guiding Morgan off the path completely. Of course, Morveux follows, deferring to the alpha. Their hooves tread through ferns, laurel, and overgrown grass. A low-hanging branch nearly steals my eye. I huff, lying flat on Morveux with my arms wrapped around his neck.

"You okay back there, bunny?" Brooklyn asks.

"My ass hurts," I grumble.

He chuckles, his tone softening. "We're almost there."

I rest my eyes, letting my arms dangle.