what to do?

The side profile looked familiar, but I doubted he would be in this area. What would he be doing here anyway? After exiting the elevator and walking into the office, I shook off my thoughts and went to my desk. It was an open office layout with desks separated by glass partitions, creating a sense of space while maintaining some level of privacy.

I greeted the two early birds with a "hi" and a wave, then sat down and opened my computer. Was it really him? Maybe I didn't get a good look at him the other night. I had been tired and distracted, and perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me. The more I thought about it, the more uncertain I became. I decided to focus on my work instead.

Soon, Anne arrived. She was my desk neighbor and took her usual place beside me. Anne was always punctual and efficient, her presence a comforting routine in the office. She greeted me casually and quickly got back to work. She knew I wasn't keen on small talk, so she generally avoided it with me, though she was friendly with many others. Anne had a knack for understanding people and respecting their boundaries, which made her well-liked among our colleagues.

Having only a few friends was concerning. I had my brother, whom I hadn't spoken to in over a month, and two friends, Ryan and Joy. They were the only people I felt comfortable with, the ones I could talk, laugh, and enjoy the day with. My brother and I had always been close, but our busy schedules had kept us apart recently. I made a mental note to call him later. Ryan and Joy were great friends who always knew how to lift my spirits, but they lived in different cities, so we didn't see each other as often as we'd like.

During lunch, I decided to head to the cafeteria to see what they were serving. If I liked it, great; if not, I would skip lunch. The cafeteria was packed with people eating quickly to return to their work. Today was a slow day for me, as most of my tasks were already completed and I only had afternoon work left. The cafeteria buzzed with conversations, the clinking of cutlery, and the hum of the coffee machine. It was a lively place, but I preferred solitude during my breaks.

I picked up a tray and lined up, choosing fried rice and bean stew from the buffet. Dishes like mukimo, pilau, and cabbage were not to my liking. The selection today was decent, and I was glad to find something I enjoyed. The aroma of the food made my stomach growl, reminding me that I had skipped breakfast in my rush to get to work.

Sitting at the table farthest from others, I began eating my lunch, wishing the day would pass more quickly. I observed my colleagues from a distance, noting their interactions and conversations.

Despite my preference for solitude, it was interesting to see the dynamics at play. I thought about my tasks for the afternoon and how I would approach them. With most of my work done, I hoped to leave a bit earlier and perhaps catch up on some personal errands or relax at home. As I finished my meal, I felt a bit more settled, ready to face the rest of the day.