The Nemean Lion

Gods could, of course, hear the prayers of mortals, and knew which beasts and ailments tormented them.That made it quite easy to choose the tasks.

After Alcides left his home, the chief hindu god, Shiva, left him as task that he didn't expect the boy to complete: he was to murder a monstrous lion, grandchild of Typhon himself, and bring its skin back. The lion lives in Nemea, a region close to the Argolide.

The creature was so evil that it wouldn't kill humans and cattle just for food: as if it has learned from humans themselves, the beats seemed to do so just for fun.

Many villagers tried to beg him not to go, even showing Alcides the shield of the last man who tried to slay it, which had been cut in half by a single blow with its paws. He didn't even need to ask what had happened to the poor man, but he still wouldn't back down.

He asked them to give him thirty days to come back, and if he didn't, they could assume he was dead. None of the villagers expected to see him alive again, so, in desperation, they made plans to sacrifice a child to the gods to get rid of the beast.

It took weeks to find the creature's track, until one day...

"Hurry up kid! We don't have all day!" A white crow complained

"Shh, solo debemos vigilar !" The black crow complained

"I'm sorry if this has taken too long, but I need to see where the lion is. " the redhead youth apologized.

Many gods didn't believe that his strength was at such level. Sure, he had drank the ambrosia, but did that guarantee he could live through all the tasks? So, a one-eyed god had send the duo to observe the tasks, and send the word in case the boy ended up being the cat's latest meal.

As to be fair, some gods of the pantheon he was supposed to join had given him some weapons that, while powerful, would be useless if he didn't have the ability or the strength to use them properly. The one he expected to be most useful for that particular task had been a gift from Apollo himself: a beautiful golden bow, which carried equally beautiful arrows.

Tracking a creature was never easy, but there was a method that never failed; searching for a source of water. Every animal, from the smallest mouse to the biggest bear, needed to drink in order to live.

"Shh..." he told the crows as they got closer. It would be better not to startle it and kill the animal with the least amount of pain as possible.

He drew back the bow to set his target and shoot him straight to the heart, which should have given it a quick and painless death. Should've have, as the creature kept drinking as if nothing had happened.

"Ha, you missed !" The white crow laughed
"The human is going to fail!" The black crow laughed.

He observed, quite perplexed, that the arrow was simply on the ground. Maybe if he aimed for a leg, he would just need to get close and give it the killing blow.

So he targeted a leg, and he was sure he hit it, but instead of sticking, the arrow simply bounced. The lion stopped drinking and decided to take a nap. The young man took the chance to sneak close to it. 

The god Hermes had given him a fine sword. Maybe he didn't use the right amount of strength for the arrows, as, being a gift from Apollo himself, there was no way they could've just failed like that.

The beast didn't wake up, so young Alcides tried to cut its head off, but all that came off was his blade. The lion woke up, not because of the hit, but because of the noise the metal made as it hit the ground it roared angrily and tried to scratch the hero with his claws, but the redhead stomped another one of his paws. The lion felt something new: pain.

"How did that hurt him?" Asked the white crow

"Not even the gods' gifts harmed him!" The black crow commented.

The beast managed to get free and run back to his hideout, but that allowed the young man to think of a way to slay it.

Luckily, this time it was easier to track it down, as it had been close to the water and so his paws were covered in mud. So, he found the lion's cave.

He couldn't let it get away again: that would only make it be more fearful and careful, which would make him harder to find. Not to mention that the creature would keep killing innocents. Alcides checked the place as well as he could on the outside and found it had two entrances: he covered the one in the back with a huge rock to make sure the beast couldn't get out. Going up front against an animal that couldn't escape was usually a terrible idea, but in that case, it would be for the best.

Now, his strength could harm the lion, but his weapons couldn't: he wouldn't need a new one. After breaking a tree in half, Alcides used the remains of the sword to carve himself a clover. It was simple, yet effective.

"Not even the weapons the gods gave you worked, why would that thing work?" One of the crows laughed at him

"Oh it also won't be an exact fit for the job, but it's all part of the plan" answered young Alcides as he went into the cave. The crows decided to stay in a nearby tree to observe.

The lion was still scared about the fate of his poor little paw, so when he saw the hero peaking into his cave, he tried to run away, but the exit was blocked. Seeing that wasn't possible, the lion roared and tried to leap against him, which gave the hero the chance to hit him as hard as possible on the head with the club.

That wasn't enough to break his school and much less for killing him, but it left the lion stunned. It was so confused that the beast couldn't even react when Alcides used the lion's own strategy against him and jumped to grab the cat, putting his arms around his throat.

That was a rather cruel form to go, and much slower than the hero would've liked to used in order to slay the creature, but it was the only option he had. The lion squirmed and tried to free itself, making the hero squeeze his neck more and more until the lion breathed for one last time.

Hearing no more noise, the crows went to investigate and the saw dead lion on the Greek youth's arms.

"You made it?" The white and black crow asked.

"Yes..." now he just had to take the body and leave, but the crows didn't let him go through.

"Only the skin!" Said the white crow

"You will have to peel it off!" Said the black one,  but that was pretty much impossible, seeing nothing could pierce jt.

So, wanting to test a theory he thought about, Alcides grabbed the cat's paws: if his paws could pierce through a shield, maybe it would pierce its skin.

It worked: the skin bleed, and after a while, he had the lion's intact skin. He grabbed it and started his journey to present the god's his first accomplished mission.

It was just the thirty day after he had left the village: the people were about to sacrifice a young boy to the gods, so they would send help, but they saw the youth who they believed death return, and, even more astonishingly, with the lion's skin. They immediately let the boy go and killed some cows instead.

"For our hero, Alcides!" They threw a feast in his honor, which he couldn't refuse and so stayed with them for the rest of the night.

The crows stayed far away, as they shouldn't draw any attention. The feast lasted until the next morning, and the hero came back with a piece of meat for both birds.

"What is that?" Asked the white crow

"Are you taking provisions?" Asked the black crow.

"They are for you: you kept me company during the whole hunting and it would be unfair if you went hungry " Alcides had even made sure to ask for two raw pieces, as that type of bird preferred.

The people of Nemea wrote and told the story of the hero, just as it had happened. Of course they changed a detail, which was a lie that everyone, even a certain kid, accepted: the boy had offered to sacrifice himself of the hero didn't return, in order to save his people.