Chapter Two

I watch from the tree branch I have taken up residence in as Aurora holds the prism crystal I planted when she wasn't looking

  I watch from the tree branch I have taken up residence in as Aurora holds the prism crystal I planted when she wasn't looking. I can see her wide eyes clear as day even from up here. When she can't hold her breath any longer she swims to the surface gasping for air. Her excitement is a tangible thing, seeming to make the air practically shimmer around her. It has become a rare thing to see her so happy and I cherish every single second.

She swims to the bank where an anxious Violet paces back and forth, her tail flicking back, ears flat, and grumbling her random noises no feline should ever make. The only reason she is even still on the shore is because she is terrified of swimming and she knew I was here. If Aurora had been in any real danger, I would have went in after her.

She sits on the bank naked as the day she was born with her legs tucked up and crossed in front of her. Her full breasts glisten from the water dripping down them and I have a front row view of the part of her I have had the urge to bury my face in for years.

Blood rushes south and I groan, disgusted with my body. I care about Aurora in a way that is unhealthy and unnatural. I am a dragon and she isn't. It would never work. Edward made sure to drive that home that last year he was here. The year following him catching us wrapped around each other.

I look away to try to stifle the urge to go down there and satiate my need to have her. I slide off the branch lower myself onto the ground softly so I don't draw her attention. I stalk into the woods in an effort to walk off my throbbing problem.

Only once did I ever given into my baser urges. It was the summer after she turned 18. Edward caught us kissing like we were starved for each other. He drug her into the house and then lectured me for hours letting it happen.

I spent a month home in the mountain after that. Punishing myself. Torturing myself. Reminding and engraining it into myself what I am and why it could never happen. From that day on I stayed invisible to her. A ghost. I have never let her see me and will never let her.

Never. Again.

It has helped not to see the way she looked at me again, no matter how much I disgustingly miss it.

Never. Again.

I repeat the mantra over and over until my blood is back in my brain where it belongs. Until my control has returned and I am nothing more than the ghost that haunts her again.

Never again. Always a ghost. Only ever a ghost.

I scout the area ahead while I wait for her to put her damn clothes back on. Aside from scaring off a few deer I don't find anything, interesting or otherwise. With a sigh, I walk back to the river to find her already heading back to her home, beaming from ear to ear and practically glowing. It causes an uncomfortable twinge in my chest that I choose to ignore.

Ghost.

I walk up to the other side of Violet and keep pace with them. She flicks her ears at me not bother to even look in my direction. "That was nice of you," she thinks smugly.