ONE

ROOFTOP TALKS

-

O N E

-

The fog curled around her vision.

Like tendrils grasping at what it could, her sight full of what reminded her of smoke.

She wanted to laugh at that comparison.

Smoke was such a haunting subject, filled with a deep well of emotion and problems she never wanted to get into, yet it seemed to have manifested itself deep into her mind, ready to pop up at any possible given situation.

''What's wrong with us?''

He didn't reply.

It seemed stupid and unnecessary, but somehow she felt compelled to ask.

It was the one question that had always hung in the air, but never been said aloud. It was the question neither had the answer to and probably never would. 

But then again, it was a fact to them, because there was a lot wrong with them. If it was they themselves or the things that happened to them, was something else entirely and at that something too complicated.

Their eyes met.

After a few minutes, the only answer she received from the lean teenager was a shrug and a hopeless look. She sighed, running a hand through her blonde curls and felt an ache, that wasn't exactly unknown or unusual, settle in her heart.

They sat in silence, secretly enjoying each others company, trying, yet failing to forget their troubles while they finished their smoke in peace.

"Why are we so fucked up is a better choice of words," he said after a while, a naughty grin slowly making way on his features.

She cracked a smile - how he brought those to her so easily was beyond her comprehension - lightly bumping her shoulder against his in a playful manner that spoke of affection. It was such a comforting gesture and his lips twitched in reaction.

"At least we're fucked up together," she added - God, this was cheesy, but honestly she could use some of that in her life at the moment - trying to forget the fact that it was true.

"Mmh," he replied softly in agreement, leaning back, and she listened to his shallow breathing. Shoulder to shoulder, ready to face the world and all its hardships as long as they were at each others side, his eyes traveled across the horizon, the early morning fog leaving only promising shadows of what actually stood there.

"There's something beautiful about it, isn't there?" her voice suddenly rang out, disrupting the silence, but still soothing and beautiful to him. "The mystery of the unknown out there, the uncertainty when approaching it. You're lost, but once it clears up, you realize, there was no reason for fear."

He hummed in agreement once more, the words striking something deep within his chest.

"But aren't we all lost somehow?"

"Maybe we are."

"But, at least we're lost together."

The both just had to smile.