Ch.2 - Rumors and Realities

It had been a week since Evangeline's ill-fated confession to Nathan. Each day, she fought a silent battle to move on, but every time she caught a glimpse of him, she felt herself being pulled back into the web of her emotions. Nathan's harsh rejection replayed in her mind, his cutting words dragging her self-esteem into a pit of despair. The wound was still fresh, and the more she tried to heal, the more it seemed to ache.

In the bustling classroom, whispers began to circulate. The news of Evangeline's confession had somehow leaked, becoming the hot topic of gossip. The classmates, who once paid her little attention, now eyed her with a mix of curiosity and pity. Evangeline knew she wasn't the one who had broken the news, but the rumors gnawed at her, making her feel insecure and exposed. She felt like she was under a microscope, every movement scrutinized, every word dissected.

Nathan, on the other hand, appeared indifferent. He went about his days as if nothing had happened, which only deepened Evangeline's anguish. She couldn't understand how he could be so unaffected when her world was crumbling. Two weeks after the confession, the situation reached a boiling point.

Evangeline was on her way home, her mind heavy with the burden of the rumors, when she felt a strong grip on her wrist. Startled, she looked up to see Nathan, his expression unreadable. Without a word, he pulled her to the side, away from the prying eyes of their classmates. His grip was firm, almost painful, and Evangeline felt a surge of fear and confusion.

"Nathan, what are you doing?" she stammered, trying to keep her voice steady.

He ignored her question, instead lifting her chin with a rough hand, forcing her to meet his gaze. His eyes were cold, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I thought you wanted my attention," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Isn't that why you started those rumors? Was it fun, dragging my name through the mud?"

Evangeline's heart shattered at his accusations. She felt a lump form in her throat, but she managed to choke out a reply.

"I... I didn't start any rumors, Nathan. I would never do that."

He laughed bitterly, his grip tightening.

"Do you really think I believe you? You're pathetic."

With that, he released her, walking away with a dark, menacing aura. Evangeline stood there, feeling her knees buckle under the weight of his words. She wanted to cry, to scream, but she forced herself to stay strong.

"These are the consequences of love, I guess," she thought bitterly as she made her way home.

When she arrived, her mother greeted her warmly, but Evangeline couldn't hold back the tears any longer. She collapsed into her mother's arms, sobbing uncontrollably. Her mother, sensing the depth of her pain, held her tightly without asking any questions. Evangeline cried until she had no tears left, falling asleep in her mother's comforting embrace. Her mother gently laid her on a mattress on the floor, covering her with a blanket.

The next morning, Evangeline woke with a heavy heart. She knew who had started the rumors but was too afraid to confront them. The thought of losing her close friend, Lily, was too painful to bear. However, seeing Nathan suffer because of her unintentional actions was equally unbearable.

During the school break, Evangeline approached Lily, her mind set on finding the truth.

"Lily, why would you do that?" she asked, her voice trembling with emotion.

Lily feigned innocence, but Evangeline persisted, her voice gaining strength.

"You know what I mean, Lily. Why did you spread those rumors about me?"