0.5. prolouge

It was the summer of '73. School had just let out, and, like every year, the kids were doing their annual party at the lake. There were grills, blowup floaties, and drinks. It couldn't have been more perfect.

   Thea Perez was with her girls; Molly, Eden, Jade, and Maggie. The five of them were inseparable, and always have been. The boys; Elden, Ryder, Cooper, and Levi, were also with each other.

   No one expected anything to change. The only one who wasn't dating anyone was Maggie, but everyone assumed her happy because she never acted other wise. Thea was with Levi, Eden with Cooper, Molly with Elden, and Jade with Ryder.

   Hours go by. By now, the group is drunk, so they decide to camp out the night on the three cars. Thea stays in Eden's car with Eden, Jade, Ryder, and Cooper.

   It takes a while for them to fall asleep. After a while, Thea gets out of the Chevrolet, which by now is stifling hot.

   Thea walks to sit by the lake. The night is clear, so Thea can see her reflection perfectly. After a while of shivering, Thea decides to go back. Walking up to the car, she hears arguing coming from behind Levi's car.

   Thea strains her ears, hearing her boyfriend talking to Maggie.

    "Admit it meant something, Le! Because it did to me, and this feeling isn't one sided"

  "Maggie. We were drunk. It was way back in October. It didn't mean shit" Levi replies.

   Thea didn't exactly know what this meant. But Maggie was talking about a feeling with her boyfriend. Trying to ignore the prickling tears in her eyes, Thea walks up to them.

   "Le? What are you guys talking about?"

   Levi's heart falls. He doesn't know how long she was listening, but either was it wasn't good.

   "Nothin', The. Go back to bed." He hugs her waist, pulling her closer to him.

Thea shoves him off. "Nothing? I heard her, Levi! What special feeling?"

   Her shouting wakes up the others, who emerge from their cars to see what was wrong. Jade pulls Thea to her.

   "What happened, T?" Eden asks, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

   "Levi cheated on me!" Thea says, tears streaming down her face.

   Cooper looks at Levi, shocked. " You told her?"

   Eden glares at Cooper. "You knew?"

   Molly walks over to her brother, slapping his face. "You idiot. I told you not to slip it up!"

   Jade gasps. "Molly! Why didn't you tell us?"

   Molly looks down. " I didn't want anything to change. We were all still perfect. And he does love you, Thea"

   Thea wiper her tears. "The. why did he cheat on me. With her!" she points at Maggie.

   "I was drunk, ok?" Levi snaps.

   "What excuse does that give you?" Ryder glares at him.

   "None, ok? It was a mistake and I'm sorry, Thea. Really sorry."

   Thea shakes her head, wiper more tears. "I'm not doing this anymore. With you, you, or you." She points at Maggie, Cooper, and Molly. "And most importantly, you." She points at Levi.

   Eden looks at Cooper. "And we're over"

   Elden is looking at Molly in shock. "I'm sorry," he whispers, before following his sister away.

   And this is how the group was divided in half. Maggie, in neither. Thea, Elden, Eden, Jade, and Ryder named themselves The Rubies after a few months.

   Molly, Cooper, and Levi added more members after time; Piper and Thea's little brother; Caden. They called themselves The dragons.

And thats it. They don't talk, or look at each other. Everyone knows their enemies.

It's funny, really. They went from friends to lovers to strangers.

sophieedenrose
Hey! I was struggling to write this, because I didn't know whether to write it as past or present; so it's like a mix of both. Next chapter will be present day! Thanks for reading!

VOTE, COMMENT, AND FOLLOW!

🔪