C H A P T E R T H R E E

The sun as shining brightly, the birds were chirping. At least I think they were.

The foggy feeling had come back full force, so mom and I decided to head home.

We were about half a mile from the parking lot, but it was a nice day out so we figured the walk wouldn't hurt.

Boy were we wrong.

We had passed a particularly brightly painted shop, when suddenly I found myself smashed against the bright pink wall.

In the middle of the day, two men, who were no older than my mom, tackled her to the ground and took everything she had.

All of our shopping, her wallet, even the lipstick from her pocket.

I tried to push against the man who was holding me against the wall, but he was stronger than me.

I felt everything start pulsing, and flashes of black spun through my vision. I shoved as hard as I could, effectively moving the man enough to where I could get to my mom.

Her nose was bloody and her pale arms were quickly becoming marred with bruises.

"Mom! Mommy are you okay?" I shoved chunks of my hair out of my face as they clung to the tears dripping from my eyes.

"Mom. Say something, come on !" I was screaming now, I felt as if my entire world was ending.

Suddenly there were firm, but gentle, arms wrapped around me. I inhaled deeply as my mom's perfume filled my nostrils.

"Shhh, Elly I'm okay. It's okay." Mom soothed, running her scraped hands through my now tangled hair. As much as she tried to convince me, her voice cracked mid-sentence.

"Mom, they took everything!" I exclaimed, my voice hoarse from the screaming.

She grinned at me, fishing the car keys and her phone from her bra. "Not everything. Let's go home." I helped her up, brushing my thumb under her nose.

I watched the sticky red drip from my thumb onto the pavement, where a slow puddle was collecting.

I reached into my pocket for something, thankfully finding a napkin from a random fast food place, and handed it to her.

"Come on." I led her to the car, this time watching from every angle.

I spun in slow circles, surveying our surroundings.

My mom giggled, thinking I was trying to cheer her up. But I wasn't.

I whipped my head to the side as I heard the men's grunts, like when they shoved us.

We made it to the car safely, and I clicked on the door lock repeatedly until my mom told me to stop.

"Elly it's fine. The car's locked." She said gently, checking her rearview mirror as she pulled out of the parking lot.

I looked out of her rearview too, just in case.

About halfway through the drive home I heard a scuffle. I whirled around in my seat and screamed.

There, in the backseat, sat both of the scary men who had attacked us.

They looked like greaseballs, their faces slightly blurry.

I grabbed the steering wheel as everything flashed a bright white and then went black.