Changing the Leaves

"Now, does anyone know the answer to question thirteen?", Mrs. Keener asked.

The class sat there silently as the teacher waited for a reply. I looked around the classroom, only to see teenagers half asleep in math class. Alicia, one of my best friends, sat beside me as she drew amazing pictures on her desk. While my other best friend, Marissa, stared off in space along with the rest of the class.

Days like today make me wish for a surprise fire drill.

Mrs. Keener gave the class a cold stare in response of the silence. I released a heavy sigh as I raised my hand.

"Ah, thank you, Brooklyn. What is the answer," she demanded energetically.

"X equals thirty two," I asked more than stated.

"Hm, are you sure?", she pursed.

"I guess not," I muttered.

My two best friends let out a tiny snicker. "It's okay, Brooklyn. No one is paying any attention," Marissa said across the table. "Yeah, I know," I said.

I'm Brooklyn, if you haven't noticed. So far my life has been too simple. All of my days are starting to blend together. My normal routine has just been plain boring.

I have light brown skin, brown eyes, and brown hair. I'm your typical everyday fourteen year old...hmm, yea, typical.

I look over at Alicia and say, "You're awfully quiet." Her head jumps up as she says, "I am just so bored!"

Marissa has red-brownish hair, light skin, and round brown eyes. She is very smart and has a huge heart! You can't help not to do anything but love her. Alicia has short black hair, dark skin, and amazing almond shaped brown eyes. She gets easily distracted, especially when she is bored, but she knows when to pay attention. She speaks her mind and is a party animal.

"Well, if you are going to be so quiet then I guess you can be quiet at lunch with silent lun-," Mrs. Keener said, but thankfully the bell rang and cut her off.

The rest of the day moved by sluggishly. It was sixth period when Marissa had the most incredible idea. "Hey! Y'all should come over tonight and spend the night at my place. I want to show y'all something I found at the creek." Alicia and I agreed that it would be so much fun.

Little did we know that 'fun' would be the last thing it would be.

__________________________