As Long As We Have 5

We just sat there in the car, speechless. I just got done explaining everything I experienced before I woke up handcuffed.

"So, you saw a twitching hand in some dirt, and instead of calling the police, you decide to dig it out?", Alicia asked dumbfounded.

I looked up innocently at her.

"Why didn't you tell us this before now, Brooklyn?", Christy yelled. But, I didn't blame her, I would be upset too.

"Christy, calm down. Tell me whenever she had in absolute good time to explain all of this?", Marissa snapped. Christy didn't respond, "Exactly, better she told us now than later."

"I'm sorry, you guys. I really regret what I have done. But, I thought that this person was alive. Wouldn't you have done the same thing if-," I was saying before Jenna interrupted me.

"Croniment? You said Croniment! Right?", she said.

"We'll that's what the...thing...said. But, I was more distracted with its breath more than its words," I shivered at the memory, ugh!

Jenna picked the stone that Alicia carried back to the car and observed it with fascination in her eyes. "Why couldn't you have touched this?", she pursed.

"It's really painful! It feels like someone is just putting more and more pressure with...like a knife or something to my left temple. It's hard to explain.", I breathed.

"Hold it," she said.

"No! It is unbearable pain, Jenna!"

"Just so that we can see!"

"I don't know, Jenna," Christy said.

"It's the least she can do," Jenna said.

She is right. I caused this, so I should give her the benefit of the doubt.

I take the stone out of her hands and brace myself for the pain that I was certain was going to come.

Sure enough, my left temple throbbed and throbbed and kept going. Every tearful pound released an even sharper stab. My left eye was watering too much, it felt like I was crying, and that is what I desperately wanted to do.

I tried to release the evil stone but my hands wouldn't unclench it! My eyes were squeezed shut and I couldn't open them. Why aren't my friends doing anything to help me? Do they even see that I'm in pain? Is this their way of getting revenge for what I have done?

One... Two... Three more stabs of pressure. Four... Five... Six...! Finally, someone smacked the stone out of my hands! I gasped for air as I massaged my temple and wiped my eyes. "I'm sorry, Brooklyn. I thought you were just trying to be dramatic. I shouldn't have made you do that," Jenna apologized.

Now remember how I said that Jenna was the positive one and was always happy? Well, the way she is acting right now is not her true self. I guess because of all the crap that has happened has thrown our minds into a loop. Can you blame us? "It's okay. At least now y'all know the truth," I said.

"I hate to break up this awkward topic but can we check my house now? I'm curious to see if my family is okay," Alicia said.

Christy put the sublime grey stone in the center console as I started the car.

We drove in complete silence for what felt like a long time. Then I remembered something, "Hey, Marissa. Where is Rodney and Ellen?" "Oh they are at my cousin's house," she responded. Well, at least they are safer there than with us. By Marissa's tone, I could tell that she agreed with me.

I looked around my surroundings with a broken heart and weary eyes. This little city in Georgia was completely in ruins! How can there be broken stoplights, cars turned over, no signs of civilians anywhere, and so much more all happen in no less than five hours?

Alicia's neighborhood was completely deserted. The only thing that wondered the streets was one lonesome black and brown spotted dog. It walked with a limp and you could count each one of its ribs. It followed our car onto Alicia's driveway.

We got out and headed inside but the dog released a tiny whine. "Awwww, you poor thing," we all whispered something in that nature. "It's hurt," Marissa coos,"Y'all go in see what is there while I help him...her...?"

Marissa is amazing with things like this. She even wants to be a veterinarian, I know she can fix up that pooch in no time.

__________________________

We left Alicia's house with disappointment. The same evidence that was at Christy's house was just at Alicia's. Her parents, her brother, and her sister were all gone. Her house, along with destruction, only had one clue: an ugly brown piece of cloth.

We sat in the car distraught as we waited for Marissa to come back with the dog. A few minutes passed as we listened to the shaggy static of the radio. "Maybe someone should call Marissa," Alicia said,"just to be safe. We don't know what is out there."

Christy pulled out her phone and called Marissa.

"She didn't pick up!", Christy panicked.

"What?!", I gasped.

"Calm down for a minute. Maybe she is busy," Jenna hushed.

"I'm not taking any chances," I said as I stormed out of the car.

"Brooklyn, wait for me!", Alicia yelled behind me," you guys should stay here unless she comes back."

I walked behind the house to see nothing but woods. What happened to the normal, everyday backyard? Why does everything have to be creepy and wooded?

"Marissa?", I searched the vacant area.

"Shhh!", Alicia said," you don't know what's here."

"Oh, right," I quietly agreed.

"Marissa!", Alicia yelled.

Didn't she just tell me to be quiet? I give her a warning glance. But, she was already running to the dark figure that was in the shadows of the woods.

Hmm, lets see. Vacant woods, dark shadow, friend running to 'Marissa'. Something tells me that this isn't good, but that's just my assumption.