THE HELLO KITTY MURDER CASE

The Hello Kitty murder case took place in Hong Kong in the spring of 1999, when a nightclub hostess was abducted in Lai Yiu Estate, tortured and raped in an apartment in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, after stealing a wallet owned by one of her frequent customers.

Date
March 17, 1999 to April 14, 1999; 25 years ago

Attack type
Torture murder causing traumatic shock, kidnapping, rape, decapitation

Weapons
Metal pipes, kitchen utensils, hot wax, melted plastic, spices

Victim
Fan Man-yee (樊敏儀), aged 23

Perpetrators
Chan Man-lok (陳文樂)
Leung Wai-lun (梁偉倫)
Leung Shing-cho (梁勝祖)

Fan Man-yee was held captive by three men and one girl before dying between 14 and 16 April 1999. Her body was decapitated and her skull placed inside of a Hello Kitty mermaid plush.

she was tortured and raped. According to one source, she was beaten with metal bars, sometimes while being strung up and used as a punching bag. On one occasion, Fan was kicked in the head around fifty times. Spices were rubbed into Fan's wounds, her legs and feet were burned with candle wax and hot plastic so that she was unable to walk. She was forced to smile and say she enjoyed the beatings; if she refused, they subjected her to even harsher torture. This treatment eventually led to traumatic shock and ultimately death.

Justice Peter Nguyen, who sentenced the trio to life in prison with the possibility of parole, stated, "Never in Hong Kong in recent years has a court heard of such cruelty, depravity, callousness, brutality, violence, and viciousness."