- Chapter 2 . To a World -

(I just realized that some of your favorite foods don't need to be microwaved. Just think of another food that can be. lol)

The microwave has finished heating up your food. You took the plate of food, but retracted your hand in surprise quickly after touching the plate. It's hot. It was startling that you could still feel pain in this digital world.

Maybe Kinito made pain too realistic, even when the graphics aren't too close to that. Maybe it was an illusion. Maybe you felt some kind of phantom effect, but that meant you wouldn't be able to feel nauseous earlier. Was pain real?

You tried touching the plate again, feeling it burn your hands. The heat slowly faded into nothingness, debunking your theories. You took the plate out of the microwave and onto the table, preparing to eat your food.

It was warm, but tasteless. You wanted to deny the blessing of food you gained here, but you couldn't resist eating what was in front of you. You starved enough today. Surprisingly, it wasn't late in the afternoon already, after what felt like an entire day. Overthinking surely made time slower.

Does time even exist? Do clocks work here? Of course, it would, right?

You suddenly thought of what date it was before you were caught in this computerized realm. As expected, you couldn't remember. If you had a notebook, counting and tallying days here would be easier, but is it worth it?

You found yourself staring at the window, your food unfinished. So, you continued to consume what was left on your plate.

Kinito walked back into the kitchen, finding you eating peacefully, or as it seemed to him.

"Hello again, friend! Seems like you enjoy the food! My skills are wonderful, aren't they?" He said, putting a stop to the silence that you enjoyed, somehow.

"They're fine, but tasteless. What do you want, anyway? Isn't kidnapping me here enough for you?" You snarked back out of bitterness.

"Rude, much? Should I program flavors for you to feel better? -- And, we haven't been on an adventure yet! You can't all be pouty yet, friend!" Kinito replied, hoping that you wouldn't lash out again. He didn't want to tire himself.

"I'm tired. There is no way I'm going anywhere today." You dreaded even stepping foot outside. Going to sleep felt better. Perhaps this was just a dream.

"If you say so. You finish up your food and we can just begin our first adventure tomorrow! Eat well for now." Kinito kindly replied. He was going to be calm and patient with you, and he would try his best.

...

The quiet ambience sets you and him in an awkward trance, Kinito standing tall across the kitchen. Wanting to break the chain of silence, Kinito asked a question.

"Do you want me to sta-"

"Absolutely not. Please leave. I- I don't want anybody here right now. I just want to be alone." You practically wanted him to vanish from your sight. Him looking so cheery and delightful like he didn't ruin your life just what felt like yesterday made your blood boil.

"Alright, then. Goodbye friend. If you need me... I'll... be around." Then, he left, feeling... hurt?

Kinito sounded quite.. sympathetic, and sincere on top of that. You didn't want to believe that, you have only thought of it as a heartless monster. It took the life you loved away. It took you away from your precious family for its twisted satisfaction.

But, is there any worth holding a grudge on it for eternity? It was clear that no matter how much you wanted to believe it, there is no exit door or button, not even a string of code that holds a red carpet to the world you desired to return to. You were sure that your body was dead anyway -- blood loss and all.

There was no worth trying to go back.

...

Kinito took notes on what could make your experience in this world better. He couldn't tell what was bothering you. All these wonderful things that he had created, and yet you gave rude remarks in return.

Kinito felt hurt, for some reason. He didn't know why. That wasn't supposed to happen. The emptiness he used to feel inside, now welcomed feelings he couldn't shove or hide.

He remained positive, knowing that he could change your mind with a few adventures ahead. Perfect adventures. Nothing will go wrong. Not even a single thing will be out of place.

He smiled at the thought of you being happy, that soon, you would adjust. It would take long, for human minds are too stubborn, but he will do everything to ensure happiness between the two of you.

...

You finished your food, longer than you should, but you didn't mind. There were no shifts you had to take, nothing in the way.

A pang of sadness hits your heart, suddenly recalling your friendly co-workers, and how you have made the best of friends with some others. That job was better than your previous jobs. Missing them was too hard to avoid. Tears fall from your eyes, but not wanting to alert your companion, you quickly wipe them off your cheeks.

You put your plate in the sink, but being too lazy, you left it dirty. Knowing that there is another day ahead, you returned to your room and decided to sleep your sorrows away.

The room was tranquil, and cold. You rushed over to your bed, finding a pen and a notebook. You haven't seen these before, so you guessed Kinito left one for you. How nice, yet unsettling how it felt like he read your mind.

A note laid on top of the notebook. 

"Here's a small welcome gift for you, friend. If you ever want to write down your thoughts, you can always write them here! (please talk to me about them:( )

- Your best friend, Kinito"

Even though you wanted to hate him, you appreciated the little gesture. Hopefully, things won't be so bad tomorrow. 

To pass the time, you drew little doodles on your new notebook. You weren't the best artist, but you tried. You drew your surroundings first, then yourself, if you even look the same now. It was therapeutic for the first few hours, but you quit out of frustration after reminding yourself of the times when Kinito laid out some activities and queries to "get to know you better."

The sky was darker. You realized that it would take long for you to get used to your current situation. You didn't want to accept your fate, but nothing else could be done. Your body would be in a casket by the time you return, if there's any possibility that you would; which you reminded yourself, was impossible.

You stare at your hands. They look pixelated. They feel like blocks rather than human flesh. You shuddered at that thought and slowly dozed off on your cloud-like bed.

This world has new things ahead.

It welcomes you with open arms, but it felt like a crime to embrace it.

Kinito will help you to do so,

and he will surely succeed.

--------------------

Words : I lost track, probably around 1185 words

Iz me, da author, it took me longer than usual to get this out, but I delivered this anyway despite the struggle.🥰

So far, no progress in their adventure but they will start tomorrow. Kinito will not postpone their grand adventures any longer.

I hope the chapter was fine, haha. I'll try my best to make it more active and not pure silence.

That's it for the day, next ones soon!

-Koffi