Chapter 40

Caleb Russo

I woke up and Alex was gone. Renata was hugging a pillow sleeping. I got up thinking this might be a good time to talk to him. I didn't think about how it affected him as well. Being away from her that long. Not even being able to talk to her. I wasn't thinking. I wanted to give him space but if Renata noticed I needed to fix it.

He's my brother I can't have him thinking I don't care or understand a little of what he felt.

I thought he would be in the gym, but I found him in the backyard looking through her visual journal. The same one we gave her when we took her to the Lakeview property. She would let us go through it whenever adding more drawings or sketches as time went by.

I sat on the chair next to him. He looked at me and then turned the page.

"She finished this one," He spoke closing it and pushing it towards me.

"I ordered her some new ones. They are a little bigger. I think she'll like it." He took time looking at each page before moving on, "We should set up another showing for her. I can stay this time."

"Hm. She'd like that." I agreed.

He barely nodded as she turned another page.

"Alex, I wasn't thinking okay. It didn't occur to me that you were hurting too and that makes it worse. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't sure when I'd see her again. I didn't mean to disregard your feelings. Whatever you decide we should do, I'll follow suit."

He was quiet for a moment but that was how he was when he was upset.

"I knew it wasn't malicious, Caleb."

He paused.

"I can't do that again."

"Okay. We'll tell them no. It's not like they can make us do it anyway."

"Let's talk to her first. Like you said, we won't be doing missions anymore anyway. If she says yes, okay. I'll give them 2 months max. Whoever doesn't fully engage won't be interrogators."

"Okay. On more thing." I said and eyed me.

"What the fuck, Caleb."

"Relax Alexandre. I found the drawing of the font lettering she used for her tattoo."

"Oh, okay. Why did you make it seem like it was something else?" He asked turning another page.

"I barely bothered you yesterday." I shrugged.

"And people think you're older." He chuckled.

I picked up the journal he'd pushed towards me standing, "If she wakes up, she'll try to find us." He nodded.

"Do you think she's okay? I know she is right now, but I mean she's bound to react at some point right?" He asked sighing.

"Yes, I don't think she'll cry but it'll be something."

"Yeah."

"Let's go before she does wake up. It's like she can sense it." He said.

"I don't doubt it."

***

We left early because we just didn't care to be there anymore. She was bouncing off the walls like she'd had a drug, but this was just her in a great mood. She was talking with Kyle.

"Kyle? Are you married?"

"I'm not Ms. Craft."

"Please call me Renata and sit." He sat and looked at us.

"But you have a girlfriend though? You must have?"

"I do." She drank some water.

"Do you love her?"