CHAPTER FOUR: A dead end

After a tumultuous Saturday filled with emotions, the calm of an early Monday morning enveloped Jason and Sadie's room. The intensity of the previous day seemed to have left a trail of uncertainty and contemplation in the air. Jason, deep in restful slumber, stirred slightly, sensing Sadie's presence beside him, lost in thoughts that clearly troubled her.

In a gentle tone, Jason broke the silence that hung over the room, catching Sadie's attention as she appeared lost in her musings.

-Babe? -Murmured Jason, seeking to understand the reason for Sadie's wakefulness in those early morning hours.

-Huh? -Responded Sadie, emerging from her thoughts and facing the reality around her.

-What's wrong?

Silence fell once more until McCarthy decided to open her heart, sharing with Martin a sensation that overwhelmed her in the middle of the night.

-She sighed- It's like a dead end.

Attentive to his wife's words, Jason sought to comprehend what troubled her so deeply in those wee hours of the morning.

-What do you mean?

The conversation turned to the recent incident involving Sadie's mother, a gunshot that had shattered their family's tranquility. Sadie harbored doubts and questions about the reasons behind that violent act and the possibility that it might be related to herself.

-What did she do for someone to do something like that to her? Or... perhaps it was meant for me?

Mr. Martin, trying to offer comfort, shared his theory about the irrationality of violence, providing an explanation that, although simplistic, aimed to assuage McCarthy's fears.

-I don't know. But what I do know is that it's all in the past now. It's all forgotten, and your mother has thankfully recovered.

Despite attempting to accept Jason's reassuring words, Sadie remained consumed by anguish and the quest for answers that seemed just out of reach. Concern for her mother and the desire to understand the truth kept her on edge, creating an invisible barrier between her and Jason.

The conversation continued amid uncomfortable silences and meaningful looks until finally, with a gesture of resignation, Sadie chose to return to sleep, turning her back on her husband.

Meanwhile, Jason observed Sadie with a mix of concern and fascination, aware of his wife's determination and indomitable spirit. He knew she would not rest until unraveling the mysteries that troubled her. Although he would prefer certain secrets to remain hidden, Jason understood that Sadie would stop at nothing in her tireless pursuit of truth, marking the beginning of a new stage filled with challenges and revelations for the couple.

[***]

In the hustle and bustle of the classroom, where the coming and going of students mixed with the squeaking of chalk on the blackboard, Maya struggled to maintain focus on the tedious lesson unfolding before her. Despite her efforts, her mind wandered to more creative and escapist territories, taking refuge in doodles she sketched in her notebook, seeking to release the restless energy that consumed her.

The shrill sound of the bell marking the end of class served as a lifeline for the students, who hurried to gather their belongings and leave the classroom in search of freedom. In the crowded school hallways, Maya interacted with her group of friends and acquaintances, exchanging brief words before making her way to the room where her Theater class would take place, her escape, her passion.

As she entered the room, Maya was greeted by an atmosphere filled with excitement and anticipation. She approached one of the illuminated mirrors adorning the space and, with gentle and precise movements, began to apply makeup, transforming her face into a work of art ready for the stage. As she focused on what she was doing, the cheerful Violet and Eric burst into the room, filling the space with the complicity and joy emanating from their new relationship.