chapter two.

her fingers grasped the door handle as she twisted, opening it. her boots hit the carpet, slowly slipping them off at the door. she hung up her tan fur coat, smiling as she heard the little rustling from the living room. footsteps rushed down the length of the room, before crashing into her legs. the twins clung to her calves, smiling up at her.
" mama! was that you on tv? "
james asked, beaming up at his mother.
" you were talking to barnaby! are you really on tv with barnaby? "
lucy asked with excitement, almost jumping up and down in her place. kai brushed a strand of hair from her face, smiling.
" mhm. i'm on tv with barnaby, and wally, and all of them. "
she answered, though there was little time before she was dragged in front of the tv to sit down and watch the episode rerun. she paid the babysitter and then sat down as they left.

as she watched the episode, she found herself wondering how everyone kept themselves looking so flawless. but her eyes seemed glued to the one person that seemed to light up the whole set. barnaby. her face felt warm, a soft pink spreading across her cheeks. this was.. he was oddly handsome, in a way. but he was so sweet, so funny, he'd practically melted right through her demeanor. she felt so warm inside, like her heart was finally healing. she was almost happy. almost.

she picked the twins up.
" alright.. bedtime. you got to watch your episode. "
she spoke finally, only able to look back at their little pouts. she just looked at them.
" bedtime is important. mama goes to bed early too, so she can get up early and be energized. "
she explained. their pouts didn't falter, but they finally nodded.
" okay, mama. "
she carefully set the twins down, and they walked down to the bathroom to go and brush their teeth. meanwhile, she took a seat and waited, her feet aching from the long day's work.

the evening seemed to go as slow as dirt as she tucked the kids in. a yawn left her lips as she settled down on the couch. she hadn't bothered to change the channel at all, so it was still playing some older episodes of the show her children adored. kai hadn't changed out of her clothes yet, still in her flared jeans and red turtleneck sweater. at least it was a comfortable sweater, she couldn't deny that. kai propped her arms up against a pillow, relaxing sideways on the couch. her legs were curled up at her side, and her head slowly moved to rest on her arms. a momentary smile graced her lips as she looked at the television, seeing the breathtaking man she'd really only spoken to once. but hopefully, oh, hopefully, she'd have a chance to return. she wanted nothing more than to return to that set, with the friendly people and the bright colors. it was a place straight out of a fantasy book, but she still adored it nonetheless.

the blonde managed to doze off there on the couch, her head rested in her arms. she slept soundly, despite the curled up and slightly uncomfortable position. kai didn't care though, she was never one to care about comfort. she just wanted her rest. and she didn't plan on doing much the next day either, probably just going to her day job, or keeping an eye on the kids. it would be either, but at the moment, she was just fast asleep right there.

morning soon rolled around, and the light beamed through the small cracks in the window blinds. she could hear the phone ringing, and ringing, and ringing. she rose to her feet, groggily rushing to the landline. she picked it up quickly.
" hey.. kai speaking.. "
she muttered, trying to wash the sleep from her voice. her eyes widened and she almost immediately woke up when she heard the voice of the producer from that television station.
" ms. lenore, hello. we'd just love to ask if you'd like to return for the show anytime soon? we'd be so delighted to have you again, you've been a hit with the fans. "
her jaw nearly dropped once she heard that. her eyes stayed wide, and she was silent with shock.
" ms. lenore, hello? "
" oh, sorry! uhm, yeah, i'd love to. "
she said with a little hum. a big and excited smile crossed her lips as she replied.
" great! we'd like to see you for this evening's broadcast, if that's alright with you. "
" absolutely, i'll be there. "
she was giddy with excitement by the time they hung up the phone. she twirled, setting the phone down, grinning.
" oh, god.. amazing. "
she muttered, smiling wider. though, she wasn't so excited about the broadcast.. she was excited to be seeing him again.