24

Heart of hearts
~
Accalia
~

Even sleeping, Cadence looked to be on a hunt.

Her eyelids creased, clenching down and purple, bruised veins spiralled around her thin skin like webbings.

Accalia lounged her head against the headrest of the car seat and watched Cadence bury herself in rest, her sleeping mind travelling elsewhere. Searching. Hunting for something unknown.

Sighing, Accalia beckoned back around and faced the road ahead of them. Rich, lush forest breathed in the incoming night.

"Do you think it could be true?" Accalia asked Lycus.

Lycus tilted his head in thought and placed two hands on the steering wheel. Accalia didn't miss the part when his fingers curled around the wheel and his knuckles turned pale.

"The prophecy?" Lycus forced out, his voice deep and hoarse.

Accalia hummed with a nod. He wasn't crafted to play dense. He knew what she was talking about.

He combed a hand through his shaved, black hair and lounged his arm out the window.

Lycus only grunted under his breath.

"It's suspicious," a voice spoke from behind them and a rouse of goosebumps stood on Accalia's bare arms. Erisa's chilling and silvery voice carried on, "The timing of it is quite remarkable, wouldn't you say?"

"I know," Accalia agreed, biting the inside of her cheek in pondering. "Even Cadence telling us about it had spooked her."

The recitation, the formation of what made it a prophecy had managed to wedge a spike of unease into all of them, making them spooked on their travels back home. Even Gabriel and Nina, and that was through a phone call as they drove behind them.

"It will happen,"

Accalia and Erisa snapped their heads at Lycus.

"It will," Lycus confirmed, his voice utterly neutral. "It has to be about Rexton and it has to be about the doom he will bring by being at Adriana's side. It was foretold since his birth and now that he is with her, the prophecy will happen. It's only a matter of when, not if."

Accalia locked her hand around Lycus's forearm and her eyes rounded in grace. "We don't know that ..."

"Cadence said it clearly, my love," Lycus uttered, silencing her in smooth formality. "Sade foretold this prophecy in front of her for a reason. She is mated to Rexton and she was meant to hear it. It was meant for him."

Accalia absently removed her hold off him and slumped in her seat, staring blankly ahead.

It was confirming enough and it was just them to speak on it, no Alphas to eavesdrop on their privacy. But Accalia felt as though she was in the Moon Court, seated in that white, purifying chair.

The Undying Night Prophecy.

An endless, damning night where bloodshed and bloodletting would become them. Because of Rexton.

And Accalia was expected to believe that this could and would happen.

"Sade would have told Alpha Calla as soon as she could," Accalia said, smoothing her hand across her forehead. A bead of sweat formed.

"She would," Lycus agreed without fault. "It would have been her duty to and that was something none of us could have stopped."

"Will Calla Lacuna do something about this?" Erisa questioned, leaning forward in her seat.