49

Bite & Blood
~
Cadence
~

Rexton used to calm her chaos. Used to ease the waves of rage and indifference to life into subtle ripples where ... things began to matter. Life had meaning other than weaponising her into a sword and mastering her mind into a dark void that sucked everything in.

Used to.  

Now he brought her chaos.

Gabriel had no chance to move.

Rexton clapped his boot into his brother and knocked him back into the tree that first took him out. 

Lycus charged at him and Cadence could only watch on, stunned. Gabriel only managed to reach his feet.

The hands of the lycan braced the sides of Rexton's head, preparing to snap, but no crack came.

Rexton blurred out of Lycus's hold as if he was never there and at lightning speed, became a ghost. 

His presence dissipated only for them to catch their breath, their trembling and shaky inhale that could hardly reach their lungs before he returned, storming in Lycus's direction.

His fingernails were etched with the longest pair of claws Cadence had ever seen. They curved at the ends and if they had contact with skin, it would be bloody and brutal for the one on the receiving end.

And he slapped Lycus across the face, running his claws along his cheek and lip. 

Violence arose like flames rising from the ground and Lycus spat out a chunk of blood.

Lycus gripped his face and gasped in pain, closing his eyes.

Cadence ripped her dagger and her boots drew into a sharp, wide stance.

Rexton merely side-eyed her, face all daring. "If you do anything, I'll do worse than hurt you, Cadence Larren, I will do worse than kill you."

Rexton focused back on Lycus before she could question it.

"It was a trap," Rexton snarled, his face so close to Lycus, that he had to look down at him. "You lied,"

"Rex," Lycus pleaded and his mouth turned downward as he clasped his face. "It's for your own good."

"My own good? You don't get to dictate what is good for me, none of you do! Adriana told me it was a trap, but I didn't believe her. How could I? You are my family. But she wanted me to see and I do now. I see you all for what you are. Liars. Traitors. Beneath me!" Rexton bellowed, loud enough for crows to flee and the dead to rise.

Rexton stood taller, at an incomparable height and Cadence swallowed difficulty, feeling as though she was consuming glass shards.

"And you!" Rexton roared, rounding on Cadence and pointing directly at her. "I will never trust you again."

Cadence's lip wobbled and she shook her head, a weight of defeat so palpable it made her sway. "Trust left us long ago, Rexton. You did that,"

His amber eyes saw red, with a swirl of black dancing around them. "No, I didn't!"

"YES, YOU DID!" Cadence shouted at him and gripped the thin roots of her hair as she tried to grapple with her thoughts, glaring at him through the wayward strands. "We had a plan! Lock you up, kill Adriana, free you."

Their gazes clashed and it was a cosmic hell for the both of them, a stellar torment written in the skies for them. Was this their fate?

"Why—why? Why would you want to do that to me again?" Rexton stammered, his face contorting a miserable pout and his hand brushed against his chest as though he was struggling to breathe.