Diamonds in the Sky

Quick lil recap:
"Is that our fuel?" I step forward and smell it closely, I nod, "Yup. Their food source must be similar to our fuel, it's a methane hybrid. There is probably at least one thing in the compound that is similar to their food source."

"How do we stop it?" Hiroki asks.

I look at him concerned, "I don't know."

~~~

While Hiroki was trying to figure out a repellent for the eels, I am killing the ones in the pipes. Naoko and Aiko fixing them afterwards. It has had a significant impact on the decrease in fuel.

"Fuel at 25%, reserves full"

"Shit." i mumble under my breath. I'm panting, these things were freakishly strong for an eel. "Hiroki? How's it going with that repellent?" I ask feeling around the pipes and tubing leading to the main fuel tank.

"Not great, we don't have enough of what we need here. Even if we did, it is possible it would dry up the fuel we already have." I groan in frustration.

"Okay, everyone meet up in the hub. We need a new plan." I speak over the coms.

When we all get there we all look tired, exhausted, and frustrated. "Obviously this isn't working, and there is no way to get into the fuel tank and filter all the eels." i state the obvious, making sure we all know our position.

"Fuel at 20%, full reserves"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "Any ideas, they can be down right stupid. We just need something to build off of."

"We could completely dry out the fuel. They wouldn't be able to swim in the fuel and we could pick them out one by one." Naoko suggests.

"How would we get the fuel?" I ask

"That's the part we're still figuring out." I sigh in frustration.

"Fuel level at 15%, full reserves"

"Okay, we do know something. They can't get to the reserves, that's all we have left." I pause and look around trying to find an idea, "We do everything we can to make sure they don't get to it." We all nod at one another.

"Here's the plan." I say, grabbing a piece of paper.

~~~

We all have our different jobs and so far the best we could come up with was transfer fuel out of the reserves. We couldn't override the computer to not automatically go to reserves.

"Fuel level at 5%, 75% reserves"

That damn voice is pissing all of us off. "Okay stop." I finally say. I take a deep breath. "There's nothing we can do, we're not fast enough." I sigh and rub my neck. I look to Naoko, "Dump the fuel." I walk away in despair.

I sit down in the hub and the rest of the family joined me. We all sighed tiredly.

"Hey, maybe others have a full tank. There are other places on this planet." I say trying to bring up our hope.

"Fuel level at 75%, no reserves"

Aiko stand up, "I'm going to go dump everything so it will. Shut. Up" I chuckle softly.

"Grandpa, come take a look at this." We hear Aiko call out to us.

Hiroki gets up and I turn to Naoko. "How is your day so far?" I ask trying to lighten the mood.

"Besides toxic eels eating our fuel, so we have no way off this planet, not terrible. How are you holding up?" She asks, mostly about my family.

"Not knowing hurts, that's the worst part. I know it is. I served in the army for 3 years and anytime I face-timed my nieces and nephew I could tell not knowing where I was exactly was killing them." I sigh and shake my head. "I guess I finally get it."