Chapter Two : Orange Boy

The orange boy, might as well call him Boboiboy, and our baker, Yaya, instantly clicked together and became friends.

A few days passed, they each learned a different thing about each other.

Turns out, Boboiboy forced his parents to let him travel here and have his vacation with his Grandfather. He kept complaining about how tiring his training was. Thus, his parents granted him his oh-so-precious vacation.

"I swear they never let me breath back home." Boboiboy sighed as he already finished his fourth cocoa drink. For sure, he'll have a grumpy stomach later.

"My friend told me that Knight training was already difficult despite the passing rates, but I never knew it would be that much." Yaya sat next to him.

"Anyone can handle knight training as long as they're strong enough. The problem is that my father keeps pressuring me about it."

"That's tough," Yaya said, her voice sympathetic.

"What do you really want, though?"

Boboiboy sighed, staring at the empty glasses. "I don't know. Being a knight is all I've ever known. But sometimes, I wonder if there's more to life than swinging a sword and following orders."

Yaya felt Boboiboy's own words with her own life. Being forced by a legacy. However, if they could compare to each other's, it would still be completely different. Yaya loved baking as much as her mother did. Boboiboy only hated being a knight because of the expectations of his father.

"Maybe you need to find out for yourself. Your father means well but it's your life, Boboiboy. But have you ever thought about talking to him about it?"

"I tried," Boboiboy shifted in his seat, "but I haven't seen him for years. Every time I tried to send him a message, the only thing that would respond to me is be independent or something similar."

Yaya chuckled. That's a strange advice to give to a kid his age.

Boboiboy only smiled, running his hands through his hair. "It's weird. I mean, I get that he wants me to be independent, but sometimes it feels like he's just...abandoned me."

Tok Aba, who had been listening quietly, chimed in. "Maybe he thinks he's helping you by pushing you to stand on your own. Some people just have a weird way of showing they care."

The two kids flinched.

"Eh?! Tok? How long have you been there?"

"Why are you asking me that? This is my shop," Tok Aba replied with a chuckle.

The kids exchanged sheepish glances.

"We just didn't notice you there," Boboiboy muttered.

Tok Aba waved a hand dismissively, "No harm done. But listen, sometimes that's how your father does things. It might not be obvious or even pleasant but he truly cares for you."

Boboiboy sighed, "I guess you're right about that, Tok."

"I know," The old man finished wiping the rest of the tables, "Now why don't you help me here so Yaya can go home, hmm? The sun is already setting."

"Sure Tok." Boboiboy smiled, feeling a little bit lighter.

Yaya could only watch Boboiboy and Tok Aba clean as she starts to pack her own things.

At least, he's happy.

Yaya waved goodbye to Boboiboy and Tok Aba as she walked away slowly into the dusky evening. The sky was painted with hues of orange and pink as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows along the quiet streets.

She adjusted the grip she had on her basket and started her walk home. As she walked, she reflected on the conversation she had with Boboiboy earlier.

The quiet sounds of the town settling down for the night surrounded her, but Yaya's mind was far from quiet. Boboiboy's courage and sense of duty weighed heavily on her thoughts.

She remembered how his eyes had shone with determination as he spoke of his days as a knight in training. It was a look she had seen in warriors and heroes, not in boys who should be playing and laughing without a care in the world. He was special, that was clear, but it also seemed unfair.

Shaking her head away from the thoughts, she recognized the familiar path to her house, the soft dim lights flickering.

Yaya's mother greeted her at the door, pulling her into a warm hug.

"Welcome home, Yaya. You look deep in thought. Everything alright?"

"Yes mom," Yaya hugged her back, "It's nothing serious."

"If you say so." Her mother beckoned her inside. "Now, go ahead and clean yourself up. We're having chicken curry for dinner tonight."