CHAPTER 23: When someone you love hurts you

ODESSA

"You are here?" I am surprised Liam came to the roof because it is drizzling now.

The party was over by 9pm so I have been having after drinks with Pamela and Hailey by the restaurant bar since they are determined to blur this entire weekend from their memory.

I don't even think Anthony has even said a word.

"I am." He looks at the whiskey bottle with sadness as his legs dangle over the edge.

It is not a high building so even if he jumps, he will just stain his navy suit and white shirt and maybe dislocate something. I don't doubt his hair will remain intact, it is probably easier to manage now that he is outgrowing it.

"Whiskey?" I decide to remaining standing.

"I don't have an answer so I brought it as a peace offering," he connects it to his lips. "It should blend well with rum."

I highly doubt that.

"I have had enough alcohol."

It is not working for me tonight because my blood is boiling especially after talking to the not so blushing bride.

"Then why—"

"I am not going to stop you from marrying Olivia, Liam." I cut him off before he can continue but he looks disappointed as he asks, "you are not?"

"No, I am not." I wrap my hands around my body. "I am not even staying the night. I am leaving right after this."

I have said my goodbyes to everyone already, including a very pouty Neels.

"Odessa—"

"Nasty temper. Stubborn. Cold. Prude. Vulgar. Never apologized for catfishing or lying, abandoned me, ill-mannered and crazy brother." I look down at him, "remember those?"

The list of reasons he hated me.

"Not really because none of them were true." Liam looks out like his mind is running away from him.

"Jessica once said, if a man shows you he hates you...believe him."

I remember one of the first advice she ever gave me.

"What are doing Odessa?" Liam sounds exhausted.

But I am more than exhausted, I am on empty.

"The first time you broke my heart, it felt like I was wiped from existence because I couldn't play a single note. You shook me to the core without lifting a finger, my brother showed up and I woke up in a hospital bed."

I look at my wrapped wrist.

"Then we somehow ended up dating, things got better for a moment but it didn't last because it wasn't real yet."

But it was the beginning of an end.

"The second time you broke my heart, it hurt even more. I was certain I didn't exist or at least the part of me I spent so much time and effort building. I saw a picture and it broke me, now every time I think about that night, all I remember is you and her taking it away from me. Now that, was definitely real."

I hold the chain around my neck.

"But then Vegas happened, it changed everything and I knew then that I would give up the world for you but I wasn't ready to accept it so I shut down. For 6 months I wasn't even a person, everything felt wrong and tainted without you Liam."

I follow his eyes to the city lights because the rain is getting heavier.

"The third time you broke my heart, you kicked me out. Threw my background at me and I got hit by a car. I spent 3 days in a hospital alone and for the first time since I returned, I finally got it."