Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Ch. 17

Imogen

We're so exhausted after last night's antics that we sleep in until ten the next morning. I shower while Jude ventures downstairs, where I find him stewing over his espresso.

I'm on cloud nine.

The endorphins from all those orgasms are potent, making me feel like I can face anything today, so why is he being a grumpy guy?

I was only in the shower for ten minutes —how can his happy mood turn sour so quickly?

I touch his shoulder when I pass by to make toast, stopping at the red scratches marking his upper back. "Oops, your back is all cut up."

"Morning, Imogen!"

I jump at Elena's voice having not realised she's back from her hotel stay so soon. I try to ask Jude to cover up when she walks to the coffee machine, but he's too oblivious. He smirks at my questionable miming actions and reaches for a coffee cup for Elena. 

"I'll get it," I say, slipping up to him before he reaches the cupboard. My lips touch his ear. "I scratched the hell out of your back last night. Go put a shirt on."

When it dawns on him what I mean, he makes an "oh" sound and spins to walk backwards until he's sure Elena isn't looking. He throws me a cheeky wink as he reaches the door.

"Things feel softer between you and Jude," Elena says, taking the espresso cup from my fingers.

I hesitate long enough for the toaster to spit my bread out, which gives me even more time to think about how to approach her. It's true. We are acting softer towards each other.

I grab the butter and spread it across the grainy toast. "We've had a few deep conversations," I say, joining Elena at the breakfast bar when she asks me.

Deep... that's one word for last night.

"He was only four when my father passed," she goes right into the story, not giving me any warning. It's a jarring jump from my dirty thoughts. "When you think of a four-year-old, you don't imagine they would remember much of their early years. Still, Jude remembers every moment with his pop-pops," she says, waiting for me to sit next to her before carrying on. "They had an incredible bond. My dream's always been to be a doctor, and Jude was a wonderful surprise. However, I knew I couldn't study and look after a baby, so my father stepped up. I left Jude with him in Romania while I was in London."

"Did you fall pregnant before going to University?" I ask, wiping the crumbs from my face.

She shakes her head. "I was in my first year. My roommate organised a big party at this fancy club. I wasn't even going to go, but my friends begged me. This club was owned by a couple of big movie producers. You've met Christopher. I'm sure you can imagine why I fell into his trap."

I look at my plate, not wanting to overstep my mark. "I can see why you would, yes."

Christopher doesn't seem to feel comfortable with rejection.

She gets up to get herself another coffee. "I can not tolerate the man now, but I thought he hung the moon back then."

"Young love," I say, and she looks at me.

"Lust, sweetheart. I only have room in my heart for one true love," she responds just in time for Jude to return.

She must be talking about Jude's stepfather. I can't imagine the pain of losing your person, especially so cruelly. The man who completed their family. It forces me to see her in another light, understanding her protectiveness of Jude now.