Introduction

This is a remarkable book.

Written by a young girl-and the young are not afraid of telling the truth-it is one of the wisest and most moving commentaries on war and it's impact on human being that I have ever read.

Anne Frank's account of the changes wrought upon eight people hiding out from the Nazis for two years during the occupation of Holland, living in constant fear and isolation, imprisoned not only by the terrible outward circumstances of war but inwardly by themselves, made me intimately and shockingly aware of war's greatest evil-the degradation of the human spirit.

At the same time, Anne's diary makes poignantly clear the ultimate shining nobility of that spirit.
Despite the horror and the humiliation of their daily lives, these people never gave up.

Anne herself-and, it is her portrait which emerges so vividly and so appealingly from this book-matured very rapidly in these two years, the crucial years from thirteen in which change is so swift and so difficult for every young girl.

Sustained by her warmth and her wit, her intelligence and the rich resources of her inner life, Anne wrote and thought much of the time about things which very sensitive and talented adolescents without the threat of death will write-her relations with her parents, her developing self-awareness, the problems of growing up.

These are the thoughts and expressions of a young girl living under extraordinary conditions, and for this reason her diary tells us much about ourselves and about our own children.

And for this reason, too, I felt how close we all are to Anne's experience, how very much involved we are in her short life and in  an entire world.

Anne's diary is an appropriate monument to her fine spirit and to the spirits of those who have worked and are working still for peace.

Reading it is a rich and rewarding experience.

ELENOR ROOSEVELT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you like this new story to read.

 And vote and comment if you love the story.