Part Eight: Love and Questions (Ava)

"Ow!" I yelped after pinching myself for the thousandth time.

I kissed Michael Lao.

And he kissed me back.

It was the type of kiss that fluttered in the pit of my stomach, dizzying and unreal.

Did it actually happen?

I pinched myself again. 

Crawling out of bed, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, grazing my lips with my index finger. How was I supposed to go to school after last night? What did last night even mean?

"Miss Ava!" My mom called from downstairs. "You gotta be out of the house in ten minutes!" 

I sighed and stared down at my pajamas. Would I be trying too hard if I dressed up? Would that look desperate?

I hated questions. Absolutely hated them. I loved answers, straight to the point, a pragmatic approach.

Pulling on an oversized sweater and jeans, I grabbed my camera bag and headed downstairs.

After what happened that rainy day after school, I decided love shouldn't ask questions.

---

"Can't believe there's only a month left in the season." Everett sighed, hanging from the door of Michael's locker.

As I crept closer, my steps slowed, as if I suddenly forgot my morning ritual of walking to class with Michael.

He nodded. "Kinda relieved."

Everett smacked him on the arm. "Relieved?!? You're acting like this is some kind of vacation, I know your ass is gonna be jogging all summer for the fall."

Michael laughed, I felt my feet floating as if my entire body was getting serenaded by the sweetness of his joy. 

"Good morning, Ava." Evan grinned.

I froze. Did he know?

Wait, no more questions. Assume he did not know. 

"Morning, Smith." I forced a nervous smile. "Looking forward to the meet on Friday." 

He pretended to flip his hair. "Make sure to get my good side."

"I'll catch you later, Mike." He said, high-fiving Michael.

It was just me and Michael. It always kinda felt like that, like we were the only two people, entrapped in a bubble together. Every one else felt like side characters, background music.

"Hey, Ava." Michael grinned.

Smiling, smiling is good, except for the fact that it took every thing in me to not jump into his arms and kiss him over and over again.

"Mike?" I raised an eyebrow.

He laughed again, I could melt.

"Yeah I don't know where Everett got that from, but I don't have the heart to tell him I hate it." 

The warning bell rang, we walked to our classes as if nothing changed. I thought I would be relieved, but I maybe I wanted everything to change. 

"I can tell him for you." 

We turned the corner.

"Hmm." Michael thought for a moment. "How would that look if I had a girl doing that for me?"

A girl? A GIRL?

We passed by my classroom and stopped. The silence was deafening. I desperately searched for words, but somehow my brain forgot every word I'd learned since birth.

"I'll see you in English later." He smiled, squeezing my shoulder.

What did that mean? 

I watched Michael walk away, still wordless as the bell rang for the last time.