Unexpected Problem

Valarinnia dipped and dropped closer to the dark outline of trees whipping by far below. Sweat beaded on Alf's forehead as he channeled more energy into the spell powering her, and the princesses' light brightened. Once more, Rinnia regained altitude and thundered through the air.

Alf sighed. The princess had to be utterly exhausted, yet she kept pushing herself forward. But she wasn't the only one he was worried about, Alf thought, stealing a glance over his shoulder.

A vast blue shield formed a protective dome and flooring for the thousands that followed Valarinnia via traverse wake.

"How is the shield holding up?" Alf asked Rex, who was serving as the anchor for the massive barrier.

The vice champion shrugged and yawned as the blue light highlighted his tired features. "Just fine. Most of them understand how to follow Rinnia, and the parents are carrying the kids. So there's hardly anyone walking or standing on it."

Alf ran his hand through his sweaty hair and bent down to see how many were standing on the shield. Rex was right. Almost everyone's feet were floating several inches above the blue glowing surface. He glanced up to see Olivia weaving through the crowd, helping and healing those in need. Concerned by the exhaustion on people's faces, he asked, "You're right, but what happens when everyone falls asleep? The shield will have to hold everyone up, and we don't know how that will affect traverse wake."

"The shield and traverse wake are fine," Zaphaniea assured as she strolled out of the midst of the people and back to their sides. "I'm far more worried about the soldiers Drake just up and let go," she said glaring at Drakovian, who was currently sitting beside Alf and adjusting the spell powering Valarinnia.

The prince glanced upward. "I did not let them go. I sent them back to their High Lord with my regards," he stated matter-of-factly.

"Same difference," Zaphaniea muttered, sitting down beside him.

Alf understood her disapproval. He hadn't been entirely convinced of the idea either when Drakovian had ordered the miners to retrieve the teleportation stone and send the soldiers through.

"You would be right if they were any other High Lord's vassals," Drake replied, the light of the spell dancing across his young features. "However, High Lord Ducard, unlike the others, still has some scruples left. He won't send those men back to Vackzilian. Seeing as we already destroyed their trackers, he will likely instruct his men to go into hiding. Vackzilian will believe they perished in our assault, and one day, they could turn out to be a valuable asset in this war."

Zaphaniea gazed at him skeptically. "I hope you're right because you know I had to alter the spell controlling my spheres to prevent them from being sent flying halfway across the world."

"I am well aware of that. I helped you make the changes," Drake answered curtly.

"I don't get what the big deal is," Rex piped up, standing up and stretching. "It was either we kill them, send them away, or just leave them there for Vackzilian to kill."

"I just wish we could've stayed long enough to make sure they all went where they were supposed to go," Zaphaniea grumbled and leaned back on her hands.

"It was trust them or kill them," Zeek said as he wearily approached the group. "But seeing their faces, they'd be fools to run back to that madman."

Drake raised an eyebrow at the fatigued miner. "How is everyone doing?"

"They have to go to the bathroom," Olivia answered for him, emerging from the crowd. Her long braid looked tousled and unraveled, and her soft golden eyes fluttered as if she were about to fall asleep.