Chapter 16. A New Day

Almost 18 months later. 30.08.21

– Wake up, sleeping beauty, - I smiled, bringing two cups of hot drink and some sweets into the apartment.

– Wow, we have real coffee here, the last time I tasted it was at home in Kyiv, where did you get it? - she asked with a smile, stretching.

– I can say that Dmytro Mykolayovych passed it on as a greeting on our anniversary, as he could not personally do it, he was on his rounds and meeting with our partners who had recently appeared. I haven't really caught the eyes of the others yet, I'm sure we'll just get out and the massive madness of "who will be the first to congratulate and present the best gift" will begin, so let's just have a quiet coffee time, - I smiled.

Indeed, a long-forgotten taste. Before the Outbreak, I used to drink a cup every morning... Even considering that we now live in safety and peace, with electricity, water and all the other comfortable things that the vast majority of those who were lucky enough to survive do not have now, the usual routine life has changed so dramatically.

I used to pay money for the opportunity to shoot a full-auto gun and couldn't even dream of owning one, and having enough money I didn't even think about the value of any amenities or food. Every day I used the Internet and mobile communication without even realizing that it was a treasure.

Now I have an assault rifle, I can use it at any time, but I pray I don't have to, and for the first time in two years I am able to drink coffee, which is perceived as a miracle.

– How are we going to celebrate this time? - Nastya asked as she finished her drink.

– At least half of the day will be spent accepting congratulations and gifts, then we can take a little rest from that, then go to the sea and meet the sunset there, then have a party for everyone in the dining room and a small feast, as much as we can afford, and spend the rest of the time tet-a-tet, watching a movie and all that. I think that'd be the plan.

– That's a plan that suits me fine, - she smiled and handed me a plate and a cup.

I put the dishes on the table.

– Okay, get up, get dressed, it's time to go out. Get ready for anything, up to firecrackers in the face, better leave your gun at home, - I smiled.

– So, dress for a celebration right away?

– Well, not the camouflage, for sure, but not yet what you are gonna wear tonight. It's summer, we'll have time to sweat a hundred times.

A few minutes later we went outside, and... Yes. Firecrackers. Fuck.

– Happy anniversary to the commander, cheers, cheers, cheers!!!

– Dima, Nastya, five years together, when are you getting married? I don't want to get drunk on an anniversary, I want to get absolutely fucking wasted on a wedding! - Roman exclaimed.

– Yes, commander, just tell us, we'll go to a jewelry store somewhere and find the rings in no time, even if we go to the end of the earth, we'll find them! - said Footballer.

– Isn't that a good idea? - Nastya turned to me with a sarcastic smile.

– We'll discuss this with you in the evening, - I replied, smiling, emphasizing the last word.

After that, the scouts started handing us a bunch of gifts.

Someone brought a new tea set, Serpukh, along with other girls and women in our ranks, gave Nastya some very nice clothes and some cosmetic shit that I'm scared to even try to understand, someone tore off a few new movies from their stocks, but Roman was the most distinguished.