Chapter 2

"Welcome to Simha University. The current local time is eight a.m., and the weather is clear and sunny with a temperature of twenty-two degrees centigrade."

The small plane rattled a little as it landed at a private airport. Ava looked out of the window in excitement while the pilot continued with his announcement.

"Your check-in bags will be transported to the university and delivered to your allocated housing. Please ensure that you collect your personal items before you step out of the airline. On behalf of the Simha airline crew, we hope you enjoy the rest of the academic year and hope to see you again during the next break."

The flight pass that Ava was given was for the airline carrying the second year undergraduate students. Ava was one of the very few passengers on the plane who wasn't returning to the university after the mid-year holidays. Most of the students must have joined Simha University from the beginning of the undergraduate program. They had all known each other for at least one and a half years. She could make it out from the buzzing conversations they all had within their groups during the one-hour flight.

Ava didn't mind. There was enough time to form friendships.

Oh my God. I can't believe I'm finally here.

Her dream to study at one of the most beautiful and reputed institutions in the world was coming true. With excitement continuing to beat inside her heart, she picked up the backpack, which was the only personal item she carried, and followed the other students out of the small plane.

She should be tired after close to twenty-four hours of travel with multiple airport hops from San Francisco to India and then from the major city airport to Simha University. But all she felt right then was excitement to start the new chapter of her life.

She stepped out of the flight, and a blast of fresh, cool air hit her face. Her breath caught inside her throat when she took in the clear sky and the rolling green hills. She had seen the vast blue ocean along the foothills just before the flight had landed.

It's just like how Papa described it.

A place where land, sky, and water came together to form a stunning view that took one's breath away.

"Are you a new student?" a girl's voice asked from next to her.

Ava dragged her eyes away from the scenic beauty to look at a well-dressed girl in front of her. The girl was accompanied by a group who were also dressed in designer wear. Everyone looked as though they had stepped out of some youth fashion magazine. Although there was a set uniform for students outside the campus and over the weekends, the students were allowed to wear casual clothes.

Unlike the group in front of her, Ava wore her favorite black hooded jacket and slightly worn-out jeans. She didn't particularly care much about her appearance as long as she was comfortable. Her younger sister often helped her with makeup and choosing the matching clothes and accessories for social events. But now, Ava wished she had paid attention to picking the right kind of clothes and learning to apply makeup.

"You can't always remain with your nose buried in the books, Ava. Live a little!"

Even though her sister was four years younger, Preeti was bossy and often got her way. Ava smiled, fingering the beautiful hand-knit scarf that made her almost drab appearance look slightly chic. Her younger sister gifted it to her.

"Yes, I am new," Ava replied.

The girl and the rest of the group looked at her curiously from top to bottom, but didn't prolong the conversation. Instead, they turned away from her and began to converse among themselves.