Chapter 28

"Wow, you look stunning Ava!"

It was the day of Nitya's engagement.

"Thanks, Nitya. But you look beyond gorgeous."

Nitya was decked up gorgeously with the customized designer ethnic pastel gown. The heavy diamond jewelry added to the elegance. And the professional makeup made the entire ensemble look magazine worthy.

"Are you sure you don't want your hair done along with makeup?" Nitya asked.

Nitya and the rest of the female family and friends all got their hair and makeup professionally done. But Ava decided to just get light makeup but leave her hair down.

"Yes, I am sure. Not because I don't want your gorgeous hairstyles, it's because of my backless dress."

Ava was wearing a semi-traditional dress she had borrowed from Nitya. It was a long, pastel green flowy dress that narrowed at her waist and flared with a full length skirt. And the dress was nearly backless with just criss-cross strings holding it together. The rest of the girls were wearing similar dresses, too, but Ava was the only one who wasn't used to it and was conscious.

Nitya laughed. "Your back is sexy and you look beautiful. It's fine."

Ava smiled, deciding not to feel too conscious. She checked her outfit in the mirror and fingered the stunningly beautiful deep green choker necklace and matching oversized dangling earrings. The costume designer hired for the occasion had also paired her dress with dozens of bangles.

Pree would be proud.

Her younger sister would literally squeal with excitement if she saw her dressed so elaborately for an occasion.

Smiling, Ava turned away from the mirror. Soon, everyone in the group was ready and they set out to the place where the engagement would take place.

The event was set up in a huge indoor hall. Flower garlands lined the walls and swirled around every pillar in the space. A group of musicians played classical instruments in the background to one side of the large stage setting the tone for what was going to be a traditional ceremony.

As soon as they entered the place, Ava's eyes automatically searched for her tormentor. He was taller than most and she knew she could spot him immediately if he was around.

Their eyes clashed the next moment and he was watching her. It was obvious he had been waiting for her. He looked stunningly handsome in deep red ethnic wear. And although he was standing with a group, his eyes were directed towards her.

Her cheeks heated and a sizzle passed through her at his intense look.

Not wanting to give away their secret, she dragged her eyes away from him. She joined Nitya and the girls on stage while they all posed for pictures.

"Guys, join us for the pictures!" Nitya waved to the guys' group.

Ava sneaked another look and saw him coming with the guys' group. He continued to keep his eyes trained on her. Once again, she quickly looked away.

But even as she kept her eyes to the camera, she could feel the heat from his gaze and then his presence as he stood next to her. She was standing in the corner, so it was easy for him to simply make it seem like a natural thing to be next to her.

"All right, everyone." The professional photographers adjusted the lights. "Move a bit closer so we can fit you all in one frame."

Her heart started to race when her tormentor took the opportunity to be near her. She nearly gasped when something rough brushed over her nearly bare back.