A New Start To A New Day

I sigh, as the light from the early morning sun peers through my window. I quickly sit up in bed to grab my phone, before it can go off and wake my dad.

It's 5:00 in the morning, which means I got up thirty minutes before my alarm is supposed to off.

Thank God...

The last thing I need is dad being woken up by my alarm and cursing me out. I'm already stressed out enough.

Since mom died during my junior year of high school, dad suddenly grew tired of California and moved us all the way across the map. So, now I have to start my last year of high school in an unfamiliar state; with no friends, no boyfriend and an alcoholic father.

I push my fingers into my hair, scratching my scalp, as I stare at the ceiling.

Just one more year, then I can move out and be on my own. I plan to move back to Cali and live with my best friend, Mercedes.

But, until then, I drag my ass out of bed and to the bathroom.

20 Minutes Later

After a hot shower, brushing my teeth and doing my makeup; I quietly head back to my room to pick out something to wear. I take my time, since I don't have to be at the school til 7.

I pick something simple for my first day and get dressed.

I moisturize and brush out the knots in my hair, leaving it down

I moisturize and brush out the knots in my hair, leaving it down. I slide two scrunchies onto my wrist, one for my hair and one for just because, before turning off the bathroom light and walking to the kitchen.

Dad is knocked out from his excessive drinking last night and I know he's gonna have a major headache when he wakes up.

Good for him.

Me and his relationship hasn't been the same since mom passed.

He's changed so much, that I don't even recognize him anymore. Pouring myself some orange juice, I look at my phone to check the time. Its already 7. I grab a banana and gulp down the rest of my juice.

Ooh!

Before I leave, I can't forget my anxiety meds!

As quickly and as quietly as I can, I walk to the other side of my bed and open the bottom drawer of my nightstand.

I grab the zip lock bag of weed, my roll up papers and stuff them in my wonderfully used backpack and head out the house.

I open the front door and shiver in the cool air that threatens to freeze me.

"Good thing I keep my jacket in the car." I whisper to myself and lock the front door.

I run to my car, a black Chevy cruise and slam the door shut.

Why would he trade hot summer air for blistering cold? I have no idea, but I'm forced to make the most of it.

Once the car warms up, I back out of the driveway and drive towards my new school.
-----------
--------