Chapter #6 - She's a Killer Queen

She's a Killer Queen

Gunpowder, gelatine

Dynamite with a laser beam

Guaranteed to blow your mind

Anytime

Sunday, november 24th

The banging on the door has stopped, replaced by hysterical screaming that penetrates the thin walls. Father and his harpy are in the midst of a delicious argument. Terry cries, fetal position on his bed. The bright red eye watches. The bright red eye listens. The Imperium stands, propped against the PC screen now.

After about an hour, the yelling ceases. Terry gets up and sits at his computer, eyes bloodshot, face set in determination. He puts on his headset and starts a conversation with Faust, who has just logged on.

— Hey man. How's it going?

— Meh. The witch hassled me because of my broken iPhone X. I hate that fat bitch!

— That sucks. You must be super pissed right now, with your spooked Jennifer, your broken iPhone X, Vincent and his pals, your witch...

The teenager slumps in his chair, eyes vacant. Tears slide down his pale cheeks. The situation is untenable; he is on the brink, about to tip one way or the other. Faust remains silent, attentive. Terry closes his eyes, wipes his tears: he has made up his mind.

— How far have you used the Imperium?

— What do you mean?

— Like... Have you done a lot of harm with it?

The webcam's eye glows.

— Not harm, good. Good for me. There's no harm in preventing others from hurting us.

— I know, I know... But... Have you ever used it radically?

Faust bursts into laughter, a shrill and sinister sound that echoes so loudly in the headset that Terry grimaces.

— Forcing your little peach to show up for dates, that's borderline rape, you know. That's radical.

Far from defending himself from this accusation, Terry leans forward, eyes feverish.

— More radical. Have you ever seriously punished someone with the Imperium?

— Yes.

— And you never got caught?

— No. No risk, it's magic.

***

Monday, november 25th

While Lucie and I finish our homework at her living room table, we take turns watching her little sister. Nadine has locked herself away in her office to finish some client files and has asked us to watch the little one and not disturb her. Chloé really lives up to her nickname, the Terror; she won't let us have a minute's peace, hates it when we don't pay her attention, and it's hard to concentrate on our math homework. Despite that, she's super endearing—I feel like I'm playing with a giant doll, which is really fun!

Meanwhile, I keep an eye on my smartphone. My latest photos have been a hit; I must have made some hearts skip a beat! A real Instagram killer. Vincent even took the trouble to post a comment suggesting I should become a movie actress. Flattering, but... after the episode with Raphael and Terry, I'm not sure how to take it... and I've decided to take it as a compliment.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings and Lucie looks surprised. Nadine comes out of her office and goes to open the door, then returns to the living room with a beautiful woman with stunning dark skin, carrying a dark leather briefcase.