Chapter 17

NOT EDITED

Laila woke up from her sleep abruptly due to the nightmare of her life. "What the fuck has my life become to" said Laila in a fed up tone to herself. She noticed the clock and it was about to be her usual waking up time. She decided to get a head start, Her body was aching and she knew that would slow her down. She had to prioritise her things, introspecting came later and the priority was to survive in the first place. She rushed to do her usual morning routine, She took a deep breathe and whispered reassurance. 

She heard his footsteps ascend the stairs, she heated the coffee and started to place the food on the table. The sickness and the pain didn't help but she managed to do all of it well. She placed the coffee on the table before he came and escaped to the kitchen. As the footsteps got louder, her heart started to palpitate more and knots started to form in her stomach. Parth walked into the dining room, his presence casting a shadow over Laila's fragile sense of calm. He sat down and took a sip of the coffee she had prepared, his expression cold as always.

The breakfast routine went silently, Laila trying to stay away from his eyesight as much as possible. She hoped today would be different and that he would leave her alone. She felt fear and rage simultaneously at the sight of him in front of her.  "Laila" he called out and she stepped out from the kitchen while her heart pounded fast against her chest. "Yes?" she replied in a voice barely above a whisper. "Come here," he commanded, She walked over to him each step felt like a step towards trouble because history showcases that he's no less than trouble

He held out his coffee cup. "Half sugar" he said. She took the cup and turned to go back to the kitchen but his voice stopped her in her tracks, "And Laila, don't be dumb and think I didn't notice you trying to hide this morning, You have a lot to learn about being a good wife" He taunted. Laila's grip tightened around the coffee cup that her knuckles turned white. She fought the urge to scream to throw the cup in his face but she knew better. She added the sugar and wished to add poison or some soap in his cup but she decided against her wishes and her rationality won. 

She brought it back to him and placed it carefully on the table, She hoped that he doesn't taunt her again and make her act on her true wishes. "Better" he said and paused taking another sip then he continued, "Still didn't learn how I like my coffee, Very disappointing, All you have to do is take care of me and the house". "Now I have a list of things for you to do today, You'll clean the entire house and I want it spotless" He commanded.

She nodded well aware that any protest would only make things worse, "Yes" she meekly. "And make sure you prepare something special for dinner tonight, I'm having some clients over" His face darkened and became more stern, "I want everything to be perfect". Laila swallowed hard because there was too many things going on, Her pain, Her sickness, Her chores and Most importantly Him. The thought of hosting guests and putting on a façade of the perfect wife made her feel sick but she had no choice but to agree, "Of course," she said with a small nod.

"I'll have a few helpers come by in the evening, Make sure everything is done by then and nothing less than perfection" said Parth and stood up. He walked past her, stopping just for a moment to whisper in her ear, "Remember Laila, Nothing less than perfection and you know what the consequences are then multiply it, That's the aftermath" threatened Parth. With that he left, leaving Laila standing in the dining room feeling like a puppet whose strings were pulled tight. She stood there wondering where is she standing in life, Which point has she reached and why is she here. 

The day stretched out before her like an endless marathon. She moved through the house, her body aching with each task. She took small breaks trying to conserve her strength but the fear of Parth's wrath drove her to keep going. She took another deep breath and focused on the task at hand. If she could just get through today maybe tomorrow would be better, Maybe Parth would  get tired of his games. She clung to that hope even though deep down, she knew it was a lie and empty comforts. Laila's body screamed for rest but she couldn't afford to stop.