2

"Papa, do you really have to leave again?" Evan asks him softly, clinging to Steve's chest tightly breaking Danny's and Steve's heart. Normally he is mostly ok with Steve leaving but this time he is not having it. "Yeah buddy I do, I should only be gone for three months kiddo." The seven year old buries his head into Steve's neck further and Danny can't stand the pain that their son is in this time around. He doesn't know why this time is so hard for him to let Steve go. "Can I go with you?"

"N-No buddy it's not safe for kids, where I am going is not a place for children let alone my child." He lets out a sad whimper and Danny see's his grip tighten on Steve even more, Steve's SEAL team all have pained expressions seeing their Commander's child begging him not to leave. "I don't want you to leave Papa, please I don't want you to die!" One of Danny's hands fly over his mouth having to hold back tears, Steve looks at Danny begging for help at what their son just said.

Even the Five-0 and SEAL team has shocked expressions at what came out of the young boy's mouth. "Why do you think I'm going to die Evan, I am going to be ok, the team will have my back." Steve rasps, Danny has his hand rubbing circles into Evan's back trying to soothe him. He knows there is no use trying to soothe him, he understands the child's fear of losing his other dad. Still Danny thought he had another couple years before hearing those words out of his son's mouth.

He can't even tell Evan not to worry, because Steve and Danny made the choice they will never lie to their children. They believe that you should treat your kids like you want to be treated, you can't expect your kid to be truthful if you're going to lie to them. So they said they are not to lie to their kids, they want their kids to feel they can go to them with their problems. Not have to lie if they're in trouble and need them, because that is how they have seen dead children on the job, the kids getting into trouble and being too afraid of their parents yelling at them to go to them.

"You got really hurt last time you left us, you were in the hospital they had you hooked up to a bunch of machines! I don't want you to die!" Danny sees him breathing fast panicking, he remembers what his son is talking about. Steve had been badly assaulted on a mission and had the shit beat out of him. They had to medically induce a coma so his organs could heal and he was in coma for a good month after they stopped the sedation after that. "Oh kiddo, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I know I was hurt last time I know that, but it happens and I am still here. You want to know why I am still here?"

Steve asks their boy who lifts his head off of him and looks at him confused crying. "I am here because of you, and your Dad. You guys keep me alive, I could have every reason to give up but then I remember you and your Dad and I hear your laugh and remember your smile. That gives me more than a million reasons to keep fighting, my ohana keeps me alive. I will not promise I will come home because I can't do that, but I will never stop fighting to make it home to my ohana. Ok Evan I will do whatever it takes to make it home son."

Steve says one of his hands placed onto his cheek the tears have slowed down giving one last hug to his boy making Danny want to cry. "P-Promise me you'll fight to come back to me and Danno?" He asks his bottom lip wobbling looking up when Steve smiles at him.

"I can promise you that I will never stop fighting to come home Evan, I promise to do what it takes to make it home." Steve says sticking his pinky out and pinky promising him placing a kiss on the top of his head. "Remember I love you so much Evan." Steve places one last kiss on the top of his head before giving Danny a hug and kiss Buck still latched onto the man. Danny has to peel Buck off of him when he starts crying again. Steve looks at Danny who is having to hold him back from Steve.

As Steve is getting pushed by the team onto the plane everyone's heart is just shattered as Buck screams for him to stay. Danny who is hugging the crying boy who is having a meltdown trying to claw out of his arms desperate to get to his Papa, Danny hates that his boy is crying and there is nothing he can really do to make his own child feel better. "I know baby, I know." Danny whispers sitting on his knees when Buck clings onto him tightly, like if he lets go Danny will leave him next. Kono walks up next to Danny bending down to her knees next to him placing a hand on his shoulder before adverting her attention to her nephew.