7

When the bell rang, I still had some second thoughts about what I was about to do.

I could just leave. Leave and go home, and do what I do every night— lay in my bed and pretend the last two years didn't happen.

I didn't owe them anything, after all. They were strangers. Insignificant to me, really.

But, there was a strange pang of curiosity somewhere, deep down inside me. I wasn't quite sure why. I wasn't sure if it was because the three boys seemed like a mystery, or because they seemed like the only people in this town who didn't see me as a monster.

Or, maybe I was just bored. Plain, old, ordinary boredom. I mean, I suppose that's what happens when you don't have any friends for two years straight.

I gathered my things with practiced ease, slipping my books into my bag and standing up, my movements fluid and unhurried. The whispers still followed me as I walked down the hall, and ever since the hallway halftime show with Eros, Troy and Felix, they weren't even trying to be subtle any more.

Today had shaken me more than I expected, and while my control may have been loosened since every thing happened, Medusa was still in control. But barely.

I made my way to the north entrance, where Eros, Orion, and Apollo had said they'd meet me. The curiosity in my chest was a dull hum, but I kept my expression neutral.

I know what you're thinking. Hell, I know what anyone would be thinking. Andra— you're being reckless. These boys are strangers. Isn't behaviour like this what got you into this situation in the first place?

But, you'd be wrong. It wasn't.

I wasn't nervous—boys didn't scare me anymore. They only hurt me when I was innocent, when I was Andra. Andra was naive, and stupid. Andra trusted freely and look where it got her.

They only had fun when they were the ones in control, when they were the ones in charge, when they were the bullies. No, now I didn't get hurt, because I didn't trust.

The sound of the boys' voices snapped me from my mind. Eros was leaning against his car, a silver, older model. But even though it old, it looked well taken care of.

Apollo and Orion flanked him, the three of them seemed like they were in their own world, with the students passing by looking at them with a weird sense of reverence and admiration.

The more I noticed about them, the more I didn't understand.

"You're late," Eros called out as I approached, his voice laced with that familiar sarcasm. His dark eyes were assessing, his lips curled into the smirk I had come to expect from him.

"Traffic was terrible," I shot back, matching his tone. I was surprised, however, to see his smile grow more genuine at my words.

Apollo opened the back door with a flourish, gesturing for me to get in. "Your chariot awaits, little Phoenix."

I rolled my eyes, wishing he'd quit calling me a bird. "Is thing even safe?" I asked, referring to the old car.

"Only the best for our new friend," Orion said, his voice was always the same calm, even tone. The hints of his humor came from his eyes instead of his voice.

I slid into the back seat, my senses on high alert. The car smelled like a mix of old leather and a faint hint of cologne, a surprisingly comforting combination. Eros took the driver's seat, while Apollo hopped into the passenger seat, leaving Orion to join me in the back.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my voice deliberately casual. I didn't want them to think I was nervous or unsure.

Eros glanced at me in the rearview mirror, his eyes darting toward his friend in the backseat beside me. "It's Orion's party, it seems. He's the one who invited you. Ask him."