10

The past four days had felt like navigating through a maze of mirrors, each turn reflecting fragments of a reality I could no longer piece together.

The moment I left the north side, a part of me wanted to sever any connection existing to Eros, Apollo, and Orion.

Whatever they knew, it felt like a ticking time bomb, a knowledge too heavy to be left unexamined.

So, I did what I do best—I avoided them, and stayed all alone.

I skirted around their usual haunts, quickened my pace through the school, and spent my lunches hidden in corners where whispers couldn't reach.

The gossip had quieted, not completely, but enough to let me breathe. Felix and Troy, licking their wounds, kept their distance. Their absence, though welcome, left an unsettling quiet that gnawed at my edges.

Today, I planned on cutting out early. The walls of the school seemed to close in more with each passing day, and the urge to escape was overwhelming.

As I wandered down the hallway, my attention was snagged by the gym doors, slightly ajar, allowing a symphony of cheers and the rhythmic stomp of feet to spill out. The chaotic energy of a pep rally reverberated through the space, each cheer and chant tugging at the remnants of a life I once knew.

Against my better judgment, I found myself pausing, unable to resist the pull of nostalgia and the haunting echoes of who I used to be.

The cheerleaders moved with practiced precision, their synchronized jumps and flips a reminder of the hours of grueling practice.

Once upon a time, that had been me. I was the girl at the front, leading the cheers, flying high on the shoulders of my teammates. Watching them now was like looking at a long forgotten homemade video— you can see your own memories, but you don't really recognize them.

Those days were painted in vibrant hues, now faded to grayscale. It was a cruel reminder of how everything can change in the blink of an eye, how innocence can be stripped away, leaving only a hollow shell.

Or, I guess in my case, a man-eating monster.

I remember the first time I donned the cheerleader's uniform, the way it made me feel invincible, like I could conquer the world with just a smile and a perfectly timed jump.

But now, as I watched them, it felt like a cruel joke. The uniforms were the same, the routines unchanged— but the girl who once wore them was gone, replaced by someone I barely recognized.

Every move they made, every high kick and flip, was a memory of my former self. I could almost feel the phantom weight of the pom-poms in my hands, the adrenaline rush of the crowd's cheers, the fleeting moments of glory that once felt eternal.

But now, it all seemed so distant, like a story told by someone else. The cheers and laughter felt like they were from another lifetime, belonging to a girl who no longer existed.

The gym was a sensory overload of flashing lights, blaring music, and the rhythmic stomping of feet. It was intoxicating, a dizzying blend of nostalgia and bitterness.

I was so lost in the memories that it took longer than it should have to notice the presence beside me.

When I turned, I locked eyes with Eros, his gaze dark and unpredictable.

He stood out sharply against the lively, vibrant atmosphere of the gym, a compelling and unexpected presence.

There was an undeniable allure about him, like a moth to a flame. An irresistible magnetism that drew you in even when you knew the heat could burn you.