Chapter 3: Class Time, Again.

After a brief respite during morning tea, Koha trudged back to his second class of the day: Mathematics. If there was one subject Koha loathed more than any other, it was math. Numbers and formulas seemed to blur together in his mind, a stark contrast to the vibrant, dynamic world of science he loved.

He walked into the classroom, the chatter of his classmates a dull hum in the background. Koha took his usual seat in the back, hoping to stay under the radar. Mr. Patel, the math teacher, was already at the front of the room, writing equations on the board.

"Good morning, everyone," Mr. Patel began, his voice lacking the enthusiasm that Mr. Thompson's carried. "Today, we'll be diving into trigonometric functions."

Koha sighed, pulling out his notebook and reluctantly beginning to copy down the notes. Trigonometry seemed pointless to him. How could understanding sine and cosine functions possibly help him explore the geothermal wonders of Taupo?

As Mr. Patel droned on about angles and radians, Koha's mind wandered. He doodled in the margins of his notebook, sketching geothermal vents and hot springs. He thought about the possibilities that lay hidden beneath Taupo's surface, mysteries waiting to be uncovered.

"Koha," Mr. Patel's voice cut through his daydreaming. "Can you solve this equation on the board?"

Koha's heart sank. He glanced at the board, seeing a complex trigonometric equation staring back at him. He stood up slowly, feeling the eyes of his classmates on him as he made his way to the front.

He picked up the chalk, his mind racing. Despite his dislike for math, he managed to piece together a solution, albeit clumsily. When he finished, Mr. Patel gave a curt nod.

"Not quite right, but you're on the right track," he said, erasing part of Koha's work and correcting it. "Take your seat."

Koha returned to his desk, feeling a mix of relief and embarrassment. As the class continued, he did his best to follow along, though his thoughts kept drifting back to the geothermal sketches in his notebook.

Finally, the bell rang, signaling the end of math class. Koha packed up his things quickly, eager to escape the confines of the classroom. As he stepped into the hallway, he bumped into Rangi, who was heading to his next class.

"How was math?" Rangi asked, noticing Koha's glum expression.

Koha shrugged. "Same as always. I don't see the point of it."

"You'll get through it," Rangi said encouragingly. "And hey, at least it's over for today, right?"

Koha managed a small smile. "Yeah, I guess. Just wish I could spend all my time on science."

Rangi laughed. "You and your science. Come on, let's get to our next class. Maybe it'll be more interesting."

As they walked together, Koha felt a bit lighter. Rangi's optimism was infectious, and he knew he was lucky to have such a supportive friend. Even though math class had been a drag, the day wasn't over yet. There were still opportunities to learn, to discover, and to dream.

Koha decided to make a mental note to talk to Mr. Thompson again about his ideas for a research project. If he could just find a way to channel his passion for science, maybe school wouldn't seem so unbearable. And maybe, just maybe, he could start making his mark on the world.

For now, though, he had to endure the rest of the school day. As he headed to his next class, Koha held onto the hope that tomorrow would be better and that his dreams were worth pursuing, no matter how difficult the journey might be.

Word Count: 588