14 | maybe it's nothing

Exams are over...and we still have work.

Good grief, how does Demetrius do it?

"For our next social studies project, I want each of you to investigate an occupation that interests you." Mr. Henderson said. "You may interview your parents about their jobs if you wish. Alternatively, you may make inquiries at a local business. Or perhaps your parents could arrange an interview with a prominent figure in their field. Of course, should you wish to research educators, I myself would be happy to answer your questions."

"Are you going to interview your dad, Boss Man?" Emile turned to ask.

I sighed. "If I can get a hold of him, that is."

If that is.

Yeah, I did get a hold of him. Sort of.

When I asked Jeeves to help me contact my father, he said it had to be quick since he was urgent for some business. Again. As always.

I took a deep breath and picked up the phone and moved it near my ear. When Dad answered, his voice was as cold and distant as ever.

"Dad, I have a school assignment," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "We need to interview someone important, and I thought maybe I could interview you?"

There was a pause on the other end of the line. I could almost hear him frowning in that way he always did when he was thinking.

"Henderson has already notified most of the parents about this assignment." Dad's voice was flat.

"Yes," I said, feeling a spark of hope. "It would mean a lot to me. I want to know more about your work and what you do."

I felt my heart sink a little once he sighed loudly. "Damian, my work is complicated and not suitable for a school assignment."

"Oh, I see...but..." I mumbled, trying to hide my disappointment. "I still have to finish it."

"I've arranged for you to interview one of my co-workers from the party," Dad said, his tone firm. "He's well-versed in our activities and can give you the insights you need."

What! No!

"Okay, thank you, Dad. I appreciate it," I swallowed hard, trying to push down the lump in my throat.

"Study hard," he added. "I am waiting for your upcoming Stella Star."

Not again.

"I will, Dad. Thanks again," I nodded even though there was no need.

I hung up the phone.

Henderson had told us that we had to interview our interviewees during the short holiday of three days. During the holiday, my chauffeur took me to his business room for me to interview my dad's coworker. But it wasn't the same. My father was still continuing to do his endless work and business meetings. This was what Demetrius had said when he first became an Imperial Scholar. "I still don't matter to him. Even with 8 Stellas."

But still, it might help. And maybe he was wrong. It helped to believe.

"Are you going back home for the holidays?" Ewen asked while he packed his luggage. "You're going to be all alone since Emile has already left for a vacation and I'm staying at my own house to see my parents."

"True." I couldn't look anyone in the eyes after what had happened. There was no time for a private vacation, and I didn't want to ask Jeeves if there was a plane that could fly me to Paris. Father was already extra annoyed with me.

...

When I arrived home, I expected the usual emptiness of the mansion, with only the servants to keep me company. The disappointment from my call with Dad was still in my mind. And the entrance of the mansion felt even colder than usual as I stepped inside.

"Welcome home, Master Damian," one of the servants greeted me with a bow. By then I had already reached the living room, already planning to bury myself in my room. Forget everything.

But sitting on the couch...was Demetrius. What was he doing here?

"Demetrius?" I said. "What are you doing here?"

He looked up slowly, his eyes dull and tired. They were the same eyes as Dad's, but with an added layer of sadness. He looked even more depressed than he was when I last saw him.

"Hey, kid," he greeted, but his voice was flat. "Thought I'd stop by."

I walked over and sat down across from him, studying his face. The lines around his eyes seemed deeper, and there was a hollowness to his cheeks that hadn't been there before. He looked almost as cold as Dad, but with a depressing, haunted quality that made him seem even more distant.

"Didn't expect to see you here," I said, trying to break the ice. "I thought you were still studying like usual."

"Yeah, I've been busy," Demetrius replied, running a hand through his hair. "Just needed a break, I guess."

I could hear the exhaustion in his voice. "You look tired," I said, not sure what else to say.

"I heard Henderson gave you guys the assignment of interviewing parents."

"Yeah, I finished," I replied as quick as I could.

Demetrius looked at me with those weary eyes. "I'm guessing Father didn't give you the privilege of letting you interview him."

"Yeah, but it's nothing," I shrugged.

He then mumbled something bitter under his breath, something that sounded like, "Always too busy for family. A bunch of BS."

I didn't know how to respond to that...

When the holidays were over, I realized that the Imperial Scholars meeting was nearing. Since Demetrius was one, it meant that my father would likely be attending.

"It likely has nothing to do with us, though." Ewen mumbled.

"Yeah, exactly." Emile agreed.

"Good morning." A girl said in the distance...it was that shortie and her friend. Ugh, why is she always here?"

"Good morning, Anya." Becky smiled, but I could see from the corner of her eye that she was looking at us.

What was her plan now?

I couldn't forget a few weeks ago when she had demanded me to tell her if I liked Anya...um, obviously no.

"Look! We match!" The shortie turned to show Becky her backpack, which had a sort of stuffed sheep charm attached to it. It looked like the mascot of that local department store that the Blackbells always seemed to reserve the whole store. Shopaholics...

"Yeah, we do!"

But there was something in her eyes. Happiness. A genuine smile that rarely appeared, but when it did. It looked like this. And maybe it was the way her pink hair glimmered under the sunlight, and maybe it was that sheep charm that was on her bag. But maybe I...

"Boss Man, your cheeks are red. What's up?" Emile pointed.

"What? Nothing! It's nothing!"

It was nothing.

AUTHOR' NOTE

Okay, I'm trying my best to motivate myself to write, especially because it's the summer break. This fanfic is taking longer than I thought.

This chapter is a bit shorter as you can see, and I think in future slice-of-life chapters, they will also be short.

I have also combined episodes for some reason. Haha.

Anyways, if you have any recommendations for any chapters that could work for this story, please comment, here....

If you like this story, make sure to tap the star button!

Thank you so much for reading!

~Sunniva ♡