7

"Alison, are you in there?" Sarah's voice pierces through the door. I scramble to my feet and rush to let her in. She breezes into the room, emanating an intoxicating mix of sexiness and charm. Her high boots, short skirt, and crop top exude a sense of effortless glamour, and her curly hair frames her full face like a halo, giving her an uncanny resemblance to a real-life Barbie doll.

"How do I look?" Sarah asked, turning to me with a hopeful expression.

"Perfect. Although, a touch more shimmering gloss wouldn't hurt. If you want to glitter, you better shine," I advised with a grin.

"Oh, girl, you are so right!" Sarah exclaimed, rummaging through her bag in search of her gloss. "Can't find my gloss."

"Don't worry. I got you, girl," I assured her, crossing over to my makeup table. I retrieved my own sheen gloss and returned to her side. With gentle strokes, I applied the gloss to her lips. "Now, press your lips together," I instructed. "Now, look in the mirror."

Sarah turned to the mirror, her eyes widening with delight. "Girl, I look amazing!"

"I know, right?" I squealed in excitement. "That's why I'm the baddest girl on the block."

"You sure are! The baddest friend, too! Bitch! We need to move out of this house because it doesn't fit our aesthetic," Sarah declared, rolling her eyes, her faux lashes almost touched her lids.

Oh, I love long lashes!

"Girl you need to tell me where you got those lashes from."

"I will!"

"And we need to move," Sarah fake cried.

"Look after college! We only have a year left. Let's exercise a bit more patience. We're going to be badass lawyers living in a duplex," I promised.

"I know that's right. With that millionaire boyfriend of yours who is going to get it for us," Sarah teased, a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

"What billionaire boyfriend?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow in mock disbelief.

"Jacob," Sarah laughed, her tone light.

My expression shifted to annoyance. "You'd better stop teasing me. Besides, where were you off to looking all hot?" I squealed, grabbing her hand as she twirled around.

"To Jacob's frat party at his house, duh. Did you forget about it?" she retorted, her tone playful.

"Oh, that," I muttered, sinking down onto my bed with a heavy sigh.

"Wait, why aren't you dressed yet? Aren't you going?" Sarah inquired, her brow furrowing in confusion.

"Of course I'm not going. Why would I want to attend a party organized by my ex? It's ridiculous," I replied, frustration lacing my words. "Like, duhh!"

"But you planned this with him. It was your idea," Sarah reminded me gently.

"Well, that was before the breakup. Now I'm not interested," I retorted, crossing my arms defensively.

"Allison," Sarah's tone is reproachful, but there's concern in her eyes.

"Sarah, can you not?" I give her a warning look, hoping she'll drop the subject. I glance at my phone and see Lucien's message, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips.