Chapter 3-Haley

I was so excited I barely slept at all. A big wedding was a dream I've had since I was a little girl. I used to make my older sisters play pretend with me. Quinn was my maid of honor because I was closest to her even though she was four years older than me. She looked out for me the most. She's the only one who called on a regular basis. She married her high school sweetheart, David, and they were traveling the world together.

Nathan was the one for me, I just knew it. I had been scared when I said no to his proposal, but I talked it over with Topher, and yes, even Quinn, and they helped me realize that when love is real you have to grab onto it. I never wanted to let go of Nathan. He was mine forever.

I took a semi-hot shower when I climbed out of bed. The lack of hot water told me that Topher was definitely home. I hoped it was for good this time. He jumped in and out of relationships so often, going wherever his next soul mate was located. He was back home because he met a girl online. A 20 year old aspiring fashion designer. She promised to help him with a new look for his music.

Topher was a song writer and made a good name for himself in California. Music ran in the family. Our dad used to tour when we were little. He was often compared to Huey Lewis. Topher and I were the most excited about his shows. Sometimes he would pull us up on stage with him, and I was so young but I loved every minute of it.

As I grew older I started to focus more on my grades so I could get into a good college. Music was never something I was serious about, but having Topher home...I wanted to play again.

Dad and Topher are sitting out on the patio with their coffee and guitars. Mom's at the stove fixing a plate of pancakes and bacon. "Morning, hun. You hungry?" She handed me a plate because she knows I can't resist her pancakes.

"Always." I replied and then took a big bite. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything." I loved how open my parents were.

"How old were you when you married Daddy?"

"Seventeen." She answered and then sat on the stool beside me. "My parents were against it. They said we were too young, but we got married anyway and had Vivian a year later. Why the history lesson, Haley Bob?"

She could always see right through me. I knew we agreed to have this conversation together, but I didn't see any harm in testing the waters. "You know me and Nathan have been together a while now. I was just wondering how supportive you are with that relationship. That's all."

"Your dad and I like Nathan a lot. Moreno when he uses the front door instead of your window." She grinned over her coffee cup. "Are you thinking he's the one?"

"Yeah. I really believe he is, Mom. I feel it in my heart. He's a good guy. He loves me."

"You remind me of me. When the day comes that he proposes, you'll have our support. We love you, kiddo." She kissed my head then joined Dad and Topher outside.

After I finished eating, I washed the dishes and checked my phone. Nathan wanted to meet at the market street docks. I was happy that he wanted to get Topher's approval, but I was nervous, too and I didn't really know why. I suddenly felt sick, but I pushed that feeling away and asked my brother if he was ready to go.

"Please don't embarrass me, Toph." I begged once we were in the car.

"You sure you want to marry this guy, Haley? Dan Scott's son?"

"He's a good guy, and Lucas is Dan's son, too. You like him."

"We grew up with Lucas. I know you love Nathan. I'll give him a chance. I'll get to know him, for you, little sis."

"Thanks."

We walked along the docks and didn't see Nathan anywhere. I had no calls or texts. He didn't pick up when I called.

"Will you take me to his apartment? Something isn't right." The sick feeling in my stomach was back, full force.

I was in full on panic mode on the drive to the apartment. My stomach was churning and my head was pounding. I was gritting my teeth and I hated the feeling but I couldn't stop. Did he get cold feet? He changed his mind, I know he did. Dan got to him. Tricked him somehow.

Dan was against our relationship from the beginning. He compared me to Peyton every chance he had. Our mayor, yep Dan Scott was the mayor, made our lives miserable. Especially after I helped Nathan escape that house. It was because ofnme that Nathan was emancipated and living on his own. He was happier being away from his parents. We were happier.

Topher parked next to Nathan's car so I knew he was home. The sick feeling in my stomachbwas growing tighter. Topher squeezed me shoulder in a reassuring way. "Maybe he's just running late." He said with a small smile.

I tried to smile but failed.