Things I Can't Change

Darcy’s POV (5 months later)

My life wasn’t terrible. I knew my place, I wasn’t by any means popular, and in fact I was near the bottom of the food chain. I was a musical theatre geek. It was what I lived and breathed. At my first school, it was cool to be in theatre, it didn’t make me popular, just bumped up my status every time I got a solo, or a part in the musical.

Then in 7th grade I moved schools, I had an ok life. But at this new school being into theatre made you a target. So I survived by making friends who all got along well, and didn’t do the same stuff, so none of us competed against each other.  But somewhere inside, I always knew it wasn’t good enough. 

My friends and I were like a little city. We all knew what we wanted, and how we could work together to get things done.

 We had Maxie; she was our little actress, who wanted to be a big star, always saying she would make it to the top. She was a little conceited, but none of us really seemed to care that much, we all had other things we cared about. She loved planning social things; going shopping, sleepovers for strange holidays, pool parties, hanging out over general. If we wanted to hang out, she planned it.

 Next was Addie, she was a big shot cheerleader, but she was never very into the popularity thing, she liked shopping and doing her own thing. Yah she was invited to the cool parties and had popular friends, but if It ever came down to a decision, there was no competition, we always came first. she was also the artsy one, she knew how to put together obscure outfits, that you would never think would work, but on her, they did. She could draw, paint, and designed rooms for us. She was also european, which gave her that perfectly tanned skin color, and bright green eyes. she could speak Russian, French, Ukrainian, and Spanish. She was very educated in cultures from around the world. 

Then came Nina, she was our nerd. She was nice, sweet, and not at all quiet. She was that smart girl who at school was always concentrated on studies, but you knew she actually had a life. She was a competitive swimmer. Her schedule was always crazy; her mom was a disaster when it came to training. Up at 5am to go to swim practice, go to school at 8am, and go to practice again from 5-9:30pm. She was always busy, and this was year round, but she always made time for us.

Ansley was the worst of us, in her own little way.  She was our shopaholic, who loved pink things, anything shiny sparkly, and pink, was hers.  She was very materialistic. And like anyone who shops 24/7 she always owed someone money. Her mother was by far the worst of our group’s moms. She hated all of us, me the most. She never smiled when we were around. And when we were on the phone with Ansley, her mom would talk bad about us, knowing we could hear her. She was one of the reasons that our friendship came to a halt.

Best of all we had Lila. She was one of these friends who no matter what happened you could count on her to help you through. She was caring, and amazing. She never gave into gossip, and always backed us up. On the rare occasions that our city fought, Lila was like the peace keeper, and could solve anything. She was the shoulder to cry on, the friend you call at 4am to talk to, just to calm you down. But like all nice people, Lila was very sensitive, it was a terrible thing, she took everything too seriously, and never understood sarcasm. 

The final town to our city was me. Darcy. I knew what I wanted to be since 1st grade when I entered my schools annual talent show. Every chance I got, I would try to show off my singing. To my friends, my parents, everybody. But then came middle school, and I realized I wasn’t the most talented person in the world. There were other people who were amazing.  In 7th grade I crawled into a shell, and never really came out. People were cruel, and I didn’t really have friends, until I met my city. They all showed me in their own special way that even though you aren’t the best, you’re still amazing. In your own way. I really learned from them in those years. How to be a better friend, how to make bargains at stores, and how to negotiate my way out of being grounded. We all became best friends, fast. We were the perfect match, all of us. We all knew our place, and how to help, and respect each other. Maxie and I butted heads a lot, because in our own little lands we were competition. But we still loved each other.

This is my story, and how I single handedly ruined the best thing that ever happened to me; finding best friends.