42 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ this isn't who we are

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

forty-two

'I'm not the Mahdi. And she's not the Hadiyah.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

PAUL

My hand remains on my mother's unconscious form, resting in her hair, with a gentle touch. (Y/N)'s seemingly hovering over her face.

There's heat under her hand that I can feel, and it's like an energy transfer.

But right now, everyone's clamoring and yelling is not helping.

"That was no miracle!" Chani shouts at Stilgar.

"You saw it with your own eyes!" he counters as the others groan, and three of the women wrap my mother in a tarp to carry her back to the sietch.

At least she's alive.

"The Mother of the Lisan al-Gaib shall survive the Holy Poison and she did," Stilgar says. "As written!"

The other Southern Fremen repeat the last bit, trying to back him up on his side of the argument, causing a riot as Chani steps forward, pointing a finger.

"Her people wrote that!" she hisses.

"Blasphemy," Stilgar replies. "The prophecy has been accomplished."

"The Mahdi must be Fremen!" Shishakli emphasizes as she steps to her friend's side. "And the Hadiyah!"

Stilgar says something neither I nor (Y/N) can understand, but at this point, I'm not entirely paying attention.

"Arrakis must be freed by its own people!" Chani shouts, and I glance at my wife, who seems to understand that as her brows furrow.

"She's right. She's right!" I say, gaining their attention and finally stopping the yelling. "It's no miracle. My mother was trained to do that." Stilgar's mouth seems to open as I continue, flabbergasted. "Poison transmutation is something advanced Bene Gesserit can do." I shake my head. "I'm not the Mahdi." I murmur, glancing at (Y/N). "And she's not the Hadiyah."

Our eyes meet for a moment as I look down at my mother, examining her pale skin and complexion, before I stand, helping my wife up with an extended hand.

"We're not here to lead." I explain, stepping closer until we're in front of Stilgar and Chani. "We're here to learn your ways." I glance at my wife, taking her hand in my own. "Let us fight beside you. That's all I'm asking."

Chani's chin tilts up in defiance as she glances down at our intertwined hands, and Stilgar seems somewhat shocked.

We disband, and I stay by my mother's side as (Y/N) and I sit down once more, comfortable in each other's arms as one of mine wraps around her shoulders.

"She'll be okay," (Y/N) whispers, causing me to smile at her optimism in the situation.

And to me, it sounds like she already knows the outcome of what will happen to her mother-in-law.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"The Mahdi is too mumble to say He is the Mahdi," Stilgar says to a group of Southern-believing Frmeen who eagerly listen to his words. "And he's so protective of the Hadiyah. Even more reason to know He is! As written!"

"As written," the others murmur, grins present on all their faces as they talk in hushed tones, nodding and smiling at one another.