rei ❀

beginning of junior year

Rei and Chenle have been hanging out almost every weekday since Chen joined the Anime club.

There, he was able to see Rei in a new light. She was not only cold, but kind and sweet too, these parallels made her irresistible to him. And despite the secret crush, she was fairly good at compartmentalizing her feelings from her friendship. Since the moment she started at Dream High and laid eyes on him, she had liked him silently.

Chen also remembered the first day she came to Korea. After being introduced to the classroom, she found an empty seat behind him, (no one besides Chenle liked sitting that close to the teacher's desk).

One day while passing back papers, he attempted to speak Japanese which caused the reserved girl to giggle frantically. Finally after watching him struggle in broken Japanese day after day, she answered, "My dad is Korean and I understand Korean." After that moment, they were inseparable.

Except Chen's heart hadn't met hers until years after.

It was now the week before spring break. Chen headed to her home like usual, every Monday was the day they'd watch anime before Tuesday's anime club. Since Rei's father and Chen's parents attended the same graduate school he was probably the only boy in the entire neighborhood who he even remotely allowed near his home. Shortly after he met Rei he learned about her brother, who had also come to live with their father. Per the arrangement, Rei would return to Japan to live with her mother after her high school graduation. Rei had been fine with this agreement...until she met Chenle.

Chen knocked on the door. Normally, Rei's brother would let him in. Because he was fourteen and close in age, he and Chenle would play games until Rei came home from gymnastics. Rei hated that he came so early on those days, but Chen didn't mind. He didn't have any siblings and enjoyed hanging with him.

However, this week was different. Rei was home early and met Chen at the door. She immediately pulled him onto the street. "I'm starving, let's eat."

Chen was startled, "but we normally order out! Plus your brother wanted us to finish our game–"

"Haiyaku!"

Because Rei was strong, he didn't want to fight her. She was too cute anyways.

Dinner was normal, but Rei was rather quiet.

So after dinner Chen strayed behind, wondering how he could cheer her up. He watched her walk ahead, in her distinctive zigzag way which made her look as if she was falling over. Even without his glasses, he always knew it was her approaching.

He said thoughtfully, "You must be thinking of home."

Under the purple sunset, her eyes began to glimmer, and she bashfully covered one arm with her hand.

"I don't want to leave." she admitted, "I've gotten so close with everyone. But I have no choice. I will have to leave next year."

He looked down to her now frowning face. "You want to stay in Korea right?"

Rei shook her head.Although she missed her mom. Her summer visits back home weren't always enough, so she was conflicted.

They walked to a neighboring playground and sat on the swings. The air was refreshing.

"I'm very happy you joined the anime club." she said, reaching for Chen's hand. Chen immediately grabbed hers; he didn't realize how affectionate they've been all along.

"Me too." Chen said quietly, his face began warming up. Now that he liked Rei, he was more nervous.

He also didn't want her to leave either, but lately it's been bothering him more. "I'm happy you came to Korea at all. Imagine if we never met. Classes wouldn't have been the same."

"haha, you would still have Haechan to goof around with."

Chen laughed, "I guess." But he was still happy he could experience a best female friend too. I guess that's what Hae meant by 'men need female friends', he thought. Something about understanding women better. Chen would always roll his eyes. But his break from dating was beneficial after all. Rather than chasing women, he allowed for himself to build a friendship.

Rei smiled. "You know, I'm surprised you even joined anime club. You didn't like anime when we first met."

"Well," Chen said, gliding his right hand now into the highlights of his hair. "I only joined to get closer to you."

"But, we were already close. You're my best friend Chenle."

Chen began to swing, causing their hands to fall apart. But Rei watched him closely.

"Well," he continued, "maybe I wanted to be close-er."

Rei blinked her eyes more than once and asked outright, "hmm...do you like me?"

Chen didn't answer. Instead he pushed his swing higher and higher, with the bottom of his sneaker kicking the ground pellets each time.

Rei grabbed his swing, causing him to stop immediately. And she moved closer to him until she met his gaze.

Chen gave a teasing smile, he knew she understood his silence.

"I like you too...Chenle!"

She pecked him on the cheek without hesitation after the declaration.

Chen's body shot upright as he held onto his cheek, "did you just kiss me rei chan!" He almost fell from the swing.

Rei pretended to lean in for another kiss then noticed his red ears, "You're flushed!"

Chen motioned his face for her to give another innocent kiss. For how many years she hid her love, he felt he owed her the affection.

They stood facing one another with conjoined hands. But soon, Chen began to feel solemn. "I confessed too late, didn't I?"

Rei replied after some silence. "you confessed right on time." She reached to hold both of his hands.

The daunting idea of Rei leaving just as he was falling in love crushed him. His pupils dilated, "but we only have senior year together."

Rei thought for a while. She couldn't go back on her word, she promised her mother.

"You can come live with me in Japan!"

Chen nudged her, "Just promise we'll visit each other often."

Rei promised with her eyes.

Chen smiled. He didn't want today to be a break up, so he promised to endure it. He pulled her in closely. "Until then," he whispered,

"I promise to spend every single day with you."