The Beginning

Sometimes, usually when there's not enough work to be done, The Fat Controller allows some of his engines to take a break for most of the day. Percy was lucky enough to get just that, but today was especially exciting because Thomas got one too. They both went to rest at Tidmouth Sheds, as the construction as Ffarquhar severely hindered his ability to run trains on his branchline. They planned to have fun bumping the Troublesome Trucks around, and Percy woke up after a long sleep thinking about the day.

He opened his eyes, and looked around. "Thomas?" he asked. Thomas was nowhere to be seen. "He must be already at the yard!" Percy thought to himself as he was steamed up. "I'm coming!" he called as he rushed down the line.

"Sorry I'm late, I-" Percy stopped and surveyed the yard.

"Late for what?" asked Stanley, who was shunting some trucks.

"Where's Thomas?" asked the green engine.

"I think I saw him with this new engine." replied Stanley. "I think I saw them laughing around here earlier, but that was around an hour ago."

"I see." said Percy with a hint of pain in his voice. "Thank you."

Percy steamed away miserably, much to Stanley's confusion. He searched for a quiet place to release his emotions. He ended up all the way on The Little Western, Duck's branchline. The sheds looked empty, so he went into one of the berths. He wanted to cry, but instead closed his eyes to sleep it off. At least, that's what he planned to do.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Percy." oiled a black Class 08. Percy quickly opened his eyes.

"What do you want, Diesel?!" he snapped, remembering the many things this engine has done in the past.

"I heard Thomas call Belle his best friend, it must be painful knowing that, isn't it?" replied Diesel, with a sympathetic look on his face.

"How silly!" snorted Percy. "Even if Thomas forgot about our plans for today, I'm sure he still likes me! I forget things all the time, and you're forgetting how you don't have such a nice friendship!" 

Diesel looked visibly offended, but quickly regained his composure. "You're right, Percy." he said. "But it seems strange that he would suddenly drop you for this new engine you've barely met."

Percy frowned. "It's strange indeed." he sighed.

"He didn't even invite you to their little party!" scoffed Diesel. "Even I wouldn't go that far."

Percy was quite surprised to hear that come from Diesel. "You wouldn't?"

To their surprise, they saw Thomas and Belle passing by in the distance, it was clear that they were having a fun conversation.

"Don't you wish that was you?" asked Diesel.

Percy didn't respond right away, he silently began to feel upset at the idea of Thomas suddenly ditching him like that.

"GET OUT OF MY SHED, DIESEL!" shouted Duck, who wanted in the shed.

"OI DUCK, I'M TRYING TO COMFORT A FRIEND HERE!" oiled Diesel.

"Friend?!" scoffed Duck. "Don't be silly! If you began lying like that, you wouldn't have lasted a day on The Great Western! Leave Percy alone, and leave me alone while you're at it!"

Diesel sighed in annoyance before leaving.

"That scoundrel." muttered Duck. "Anyways, what brings you here?" he asked Percy.

"I needed to get away from my usual surroundings, I guess." chuckled Percy.

"Well, be careful next time you see Diesel." said Duck. "He's often just a nuisance, but I've seen how devilish him and his little friends down at the Dieselworks can be- And I'm speaking from experience."

"The Dieselworks? We have a Dieselworks?" asked Percy.

"It's out of the way and usually only diesels need to go there, so I'm not surprised that you've never heard of it." answered Duck. "I think you should stay away from it, Diesel usually lingers there, and I don't think you'd be able to handle him or Diesel 10 in there."

Just hearing about Diesel 10 made Percy's wheels wobble a bit, but he was also a bit curious. "Well, Diesel was nice to me until you came along, so I think I can handle it!" he chuffed.

"That's a scrap wish, Percy. Are you out of your smokebox?!"

But Percy was already down the line and didn't hear Duck at all. "If Diesel wants to be nice, we could be friends! Wouldn't that show Thomas?!"

Duck heard Percy though, and sighed. "I should've kept my mouth shut."

Next Chapter: The Dieselworks

To be continued...