chapter 5

It was noon. My legs were trembling like a newborn fawn when the modest carriage appeared outside of the public gates to the Citadel. I must have looked pathetic. It wasn't my fault - how else could someone be expected to act after being told the things that Sapphira told me, and handed what she handed me.

Not even an hour ago, Sapphira and I had departed from the Archive and the library in silence. She helped me pack the rest of my things. We didn't speak another word on what had been discussed in the Archive, but instead talked and laughed about inconsequential things, happy memories - a welcome change. She also told me what she knew about the Royal Palace, having visited it once as a child with her parents, who were very briefly advisors to the King regarding economic matters, according to her.

As Sapphira recalled, it was too large for her to comprehend as a child: rooms upon rooms, balconies and verandas, sprawling, lush grounds. She was unfortunately not sure whether there was a library there, but she suggested that if there was, I ought to find it and read. Read what? I had asked. Everything was the answer. She didn't have to tell me twice.

If Sapphira was right, which I had no reason not to believe was true, then every piece of information, big or small, could be vital. There was something happening, something important. I had thought that Guin had all the answers and may have been keeping them from me, but with the seriousness with which Sappira had told to me what she had... there were surely things that I now knew, or at least would upon reading that damned book, that Guin wasn't privy to. That my father wasn't even aware of. The prospect was exciting, but not as much as it was terrifying. I feared the book may burn a hole in the burlap bag that held it.

They'll think you're not human. What in The Messiah's lands could I possibly do to make anyone think that I wasn't human. What the hell else could I be?

The train of thought fell away as Guin smiled at me.

"This will be fun," she told me, "You'll be up there with me, you know."

She was referring to her wedding to Rhidian - it was tradition across Illamore for both the bride and groom to be accompanied at the altar by immediate family members of the same gender, most often siblings or parents. Sometimes grandparents, aunts and uncles were invited to be present as well. As her only surviving female family member, it would just be me and her up there.

The wedding was to be in two days' time. The external threat to Illamore that had been ever so briefly mentioned before being shut down by Runhura at that fateful meeting yesterday evening - shit, it felt like a month had passed since - was evidently pressing enough that the political loyalists to the King and The Messiah's believers needed to be united tout suite.

As I predicted, Guin had several more traveling bags than I. It was understandable, though, as she apparently had a small collection of formal clothing that I had not been aware of until the day before. I had packed that maroon gown that she had generously and intently given to me that morning, but was far too comfortable in my own clothing to wear it for our first appearance at the Palace.

Sapphira hadn't explicitly told me to do so, but I would endeavor to draw the least attention as possible. I was currently donning one of my two blouses, thin and white with miniscule floral embroidery on either shoulder, and an ankle-length, beige skirt that hugged my hips ever so slightly. I blended in with the surroundings in comparison to Guinevere, whose gown shimmering in the sun, its deep jewel tones a stark contrast against her fair skin. I surely looked like a mere servant beside her, the caramel color of my own skin that of a sun-beaten field worker.

Indeed, I was paid no mind beyond a polite nod from Rhidian, who naturally had come to greet his future bride. It took but one glance at Guinevere, however, to produce a breathy "you look beautiful."