Chapter 8: Everlast

Exiting the courtroom, Pete made his way to Malary. "Miss Grove, there's something urgent we need to discuss," he said, drawing her and Simon aside. With a protective gesture, he draped an arm around Simon, pulling him into a firm hug.

Malary expressed her gratitude, "Your presence in the courtroom today meant a lot, especially considering the distance you covered to stand by Simon's side. Now what's this about, Mr. Brocksworth? I see you share a close bond. How did this come to be?"

Pete's smile was soft. "Well, he's quite taken with my daughter, Susan. The feeling is mutual between them."

Recognition dawned on Malary. "Ah, Susan. Of course." Her smile broadened, a knowing look in her eye. "You do realize Simon is counted among the Malevolent? Any union would require legal and parental consent."

"I'm well aware, and I fully support them. They bring each other joy, and Susan has a keen sense for people. In due time, I'll make it official. But for now, there's a pressing matter regarding Simon's health."

Simon's lips curved into a broad grin, warmth flooding his chest as he acknowledged the assurance of Susan's father's endorsement and the mutual depth of their affection.

Malary's expression softened. "I'm relieved to hear you support their fondness for one another. As for Simon, he's recovered from his earlier ailments that arose from the broken soul bond."

Pete shook his head. "It's not that. I must take Simon today; it's time for his weekly enchantment."

Surprise and concern flashed across Malary's face. "A weekly spell? For what purpose?"

Simon interjected, "It's to manage my condition."

Malary's tone turned grave. "And what might this condition be?"

Pete elaborated, "It's the shapeshifting curse he inherited from his mother, Gilda. I cast a spell each week to prevent a disaster like the one his mother caused. His uncle has been informed."

Malary remembered the peculiar markings the nurse had observed on Simon. "Does this spell leave blue, veiny streaks on his skin?"

Pete nodded solemnly. "Yes, it's a side effect of the potent magic. It's painful, but it spares him from a transformation that would be far worse."

Malary's concern deepened. "Simon, step outside for a moment."

Once Simon had left, Malary confronted Pete. "You can't cast spells on my students without my permission. He's just a boy!"

Pete stood his ground. "This is an emergency measure, taken to protect many. The court would understand. I've acted as a guardian in this instance."

Malary's frustration laced with anger. "And why wasn't I informed of this agreement?"

Pete tried to reassure her. "I sent word, but my owl is quite unreliable. Gimpy is very old and has coordination issues. He is intellectually impaired. The message will reach you eventually."

Malary was skeptical. "If your owl is as old and disabled as you say, it might never arrive. And why wasn't this mentioned in court today?"

Pete was resolute. "It wasn't relevant to the case at hand. But we must act quickly; the spell's effects are waning, and we risk a catastrophe."

Malary was torn between her role as headmistress and the urgency of the situation. "We'll discuss this further, but for now, do what you must."

"I've got a surprise for you, Simon—it's just arrived this week," Pete announced, as they entered the once empty warehouse. His eyes alight with anticipation yet his expression solemn.