London, 1939

Genevieve's coat hung on the hook in the hallway. Her shoes sat beneath it, and her bag was perched on a table to the side. Her mother, Doreen Grant, sat on a chair waiting for Genevieve to come downstairs after saying goodbye to her room.

"I forgot to brush my teeth," Genevieve said, walking down the hall.

"Don't worry about that," replied her mother, "make sure you brush them extra well tonight. We don't want to be late for Miss Mance".

"Ok. Do I have Princess?" Princess was a little pink bear given to Genevieve on her 5th birthday. She was 7 now.

"I packed her in your bag."

"Ok. Did you pack my purple pyjamas?"

"Yes."

"And my pillow? Did you pack my pillow Mumma? And my dress with the flowers?"

"Yes, Genevieve. Now You need to get your coat on because it's time to go." Doreen helped her daughter into her coat, picked up her bag and waited while she put on her shoes.

***

A large train was waiting in the station. Children were milling around outside it, some half hidden behind their mothers' coats. Doreen spotted Eliza McVey, one of her closest friends, and her child Alice.

"Hello! Nice and early on a Saturday isn't it?" asked Eliza.

"Yes," said Doreen. "Genevieve, keep your coat on dear. It's cold today and you don't want to get ill!" Genevieve shrugged and looked down at her feet.

"Genevieve, you'll be home very soon, don't be sad! It'll be fun in the country. There'll be sheep and cows and maybe you'll get to milk one!" Eliza tried to cheer Genevieve up.

"Ok," was all Genevieve said. Doreen looked at Eliza and her eyes shone with tears. 

A whistle blew and the Driver boarded the train. "Alright everyone! Time to say goodbye!" A Volunteer shouted through the crowd. Kids piled into the carriages, clutching tightly to their belongings.

Eliza wrapped her arms around Alice and pulled her close. "Be good," she whispered, "Mummy will think of you every day."

"Bye bye Mummy, I love you." Alice boarded the train.

Genevieve was the last child to get on the train. She looked so small against all the other kids, yet so sensible and so grownup. One of her shoelaces was undone. Doreen gave her one last hug and said goodbye.

"Bye bye Mumma, see you soon." Then she disappeared  to find a seat and the Volunteer slammed the door.