S1E13 Tape 7, Side A

1 Month Ago:

I arrive to the church with my mother for Jeff's funeral. It looks like the entire school is here for Jeff. I see Clay arriving with his parents. He doesn't believe me about the Stop sign. He really hasn't spoken to anyone since Jeff's death for the exception of Alex. Liberty's baseball team arrive wearing Jeff's jersey. Leah also arrived with her parents as well. I tried telling her that he wasn't drunk that night and about the Stop sign, but like everyone else she didn't believe me. Me & my mother sit in the 2nd behind Jeff's parents. My mother goes up to Mrs. Atkins and hugs. They've both been friends since they were in college. It was because of them me & Jeff became friends, best friends. The priest begins the sermon. The priest started by saying how all these people cared for Jeff. It's true, they did care for him. Jeff was one of the jocks that students actually liked. I begin to space out as I just stare at the open coffin with Jeff's body in it. All I can think of is the what if scenarios. Some of the students go up to the podium to give their eulogies. Bryce Walker went up there on the behalf of the baseball team. A relative of his was the next one to speak, it one of his cousins. Then Jeff's baseball coach, Coach Rick spoke as well. I was the next one up there. To tell you the truth, I was scared to speak with all these people looking at me. I've never had these much attention before, but for the wrong reasons. I take a good look at Jeff's body, just resting in the coffin in piece. I look at all the people in attendance I see Justin, Jessica, Bryce, Monty, Alex, Zach, Sherri, & Clay. But I don't see Hannah anywhere. She's the only one who actually believes me, I can actually use her support right now.

Ricky Santiago: This is my 1st funeral. It wasn't supposed to be this way. (Exhales) I was only a baby when I 1st meet Jeff. My mom and his mom have been friends since college. When my mother was pregnant with me, my good for nothing father abandon us before I was even born. Mrs. Atkins was always there for mom. After I was born and got a little bit bigger, our mothers would schedule playdates with us. As we grew up together, we would bond with each other. Even though he was 1 year older than me, we became best friends. We wouldn't be in the same classes until I finally reached High School, that was 2 years ago. We've had the time of our lives. He would introduce me to his friends and I would introduce him to mine. As a matter of fact, one of my friends is the reason he kept on playing baseball when he was failing U.S. History. And that was you, Clay.

I look towards Clay Jensen as tears start coming down on his face and the same goes with me.

Ricky Santiago: I would enjoy watching you tutor him and making bets with both you. My favorite bet was last year when Jeff bet you that if he got "C" average, you would have to go to the Winter Formal. And you lost that bet.

Everyone laughed at that story, even Clay.

Ricky Santiago: But most importantly, you 2 bonded. You guys became friends. I would always  enjoy it when the 3 of us hung out. Jeff really loved baseball. But he loved Leah even more.

I turn to see Leah, in tears as she mourns her boyfriend.

Ricky Santiago: He really loved you Leah. And I'm glad you've made him happy. I'm glad he made all of you happy especially when he lead Liberty to a State Championship. And just like that, it's all over. His life cut short. Cut short by a Stop sign.

I just close my eyes and not even look at anyone.

Ricky Santiago: Everyone thinks he was drunk that night, but he wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't.