Home

Nick's POV
I was helping out in the garden, mowing the lawn when I heard Nellie barking like crazy. I cut off the lawn mower, following the sound of the barking to the front door.

"Hey Nells, what's up" I asked, giving her a small pet before unlocking the door. I assumed there was someone on the other side, Nellie always barks when that happens.

My heart sank when I opened it to see Charlie on the other side, tears streaming down his face, breathing like there wasn't nearly enough oxygen in the air.

"Oh my god, Char what happened!?" I exclaimed, reaching out for Charlie's hand and pulling him inside. There was no response from him so I pulled him close to me, just wanting him to calm down before he passed out. I don't think I've ever seen him struggling so much.

I felt his body shake against mine and his weight fall more onto me. I scooped him up, held him close and took him upstairs. As supportive as my mum was, I could tell Charlie probably wanted to be alone right now so gave us some privacy in my room.

I managed to get us to sit comfortably on my bed and held him close to me, rubbing small circles on his back and trying my best to keep my own breathing steady. I didn't want to alert him to the fact I was also panicking slightly, mainly because I had no idea what happened.

"I'm sorry Nick", Charlie said, pulling his face away from my chest, catching me by surprise slightly

"What for, baby?" I asked, confused as hell

"I know it's your day off, where you don't have to deal with me. I just, I couldn't do it, I'm so sorry", he said, burying his face back into my chest

"Baby, its okay. You know I would happily spend every day of my life with you, where's this coming from?"

"You didn't answer and I guess I just assumed you wanted a break", he said, shyly

I picked up my phone from the bedside table and saw multiple messages from Charlie from over 30 minutes ago. I'd left my phone in my room while I helped in the garden and it had slipped my mind completely!

"I'm so sorry baby, I forgot my phone when I went outside! I've only just realized! You know I would have come and got you right away if I'd known, I'm really sorry Char", I rambled, pulling him close to me, tears forming in my own eyes. The thought of Charlie struggling alone and me not even being aware

"No it's okay Nick, I just- things got bad over lunch. My grandma said some really shitty things and I had to leave. I didn't even realize where I was running till I got here"

"My love, it's going to be okay. I think you might need a rest. Stay here with me and we'll just relax okay?" I asked, knowing that honestly, a nap or even a break would be a good choice right now.

Charlie nodded into my chest, wriggling a bit to get himself comfortable. I placed some small kisses on his head and watched as he drifted into a sleep. I suddenly realized that Charlie had left without letting anyone know so I grabbed my phone, sending a text to Charlie's mum

'Hi Jane, sorry to text you so randomly. I just wanted to let you know Charlie is at mine, he's safe and okay but I think he needs some time away from everything right now. I'll make sure he has dinner and I'll bring him home later on. I hope that's okay'

I felt a bit weird, telling someone else's mum what to do but I knew Charlie just needed a break and I didn't want him getting in trouble for breaking his curfew

My phone pinged again about 5 minutes later

'Hi Nick, thanks for letting me know, I think that's a good idea. My mum has been on one today. I really should have spoken up but I just didn't know what to say. Please let Charlie know I'm sorry. If he needs to stay with you tonight, I understand'