44 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ the journey ahead

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌒 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

forty-four

'Centipedes are very nasty. Not the big ones. They are harmless.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌒 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

The sun begins to set in the desert as Paul and (Y/N) stand with Stilgar and a few of the other Fremen as the two prepare to venture out into the desert.

"If you wanna fight with us, first thing, you must learn—" Stilgar gestures to the vast scenery of sand, "—to be one with the desert." He hands Paul a bag that slings over his shoulders. "So, here is a tent and enough food for both of you." 

He places a hand on his shoulder and points out into the far distance. "I want you to cross that small erg and come back. Travel by night. You know how to use a paracompass?" 

"Yes," Paul nods.

"Oh."

He slings the bag over his shoulder as Stilgar places a hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder.

"Anything else we should know?" she asks.

"Um, besides the worms and the Harkonnens, beware of the trapdoor spiders," Stilgar says. "Centipedes are very nasty. Not the big ones. They are harmless." 

(Y/N)'s brows furrow at that, but she doesn't question him until the realization hits her.

"But the little ones, you have to worry about." Paul nods as he takes in the information. "And... Oh!"

Stilgar looks back at the other Fremen he was with earlier, leaning in. "Don't ever, ever listen to the jinn."

"The jinn?" Paul murmurs.

"Jinn. Desert spirits. They whisper at night." Stilgar explains with a soft tone before he imitates the mindless mumbling of said voices. "They, they can possess you. Really, be careful. They are demons." 

He playfully jerks up his hands with an open mouth, startling (Y/N) for a moment as Paul remains still, watching the man intently as he laughs.

"But it's true. Don't listen to them," he concludes as the couple look out at the desert, sharing a glance and shrugging as if to say 'Eh. How bad can it be?'

Furhter out into the desert, Chani and Shishakli watch from a distance.

"They don't know how to cross," Chani says. "Stilgar is going to get them killed. What are they trying to prove?"

"What do you think?" Shishakli murmurs, remaining seated while Chani crouches from behind. "'The Prophet shall know the ways of the desert.'"

The two watch (Y/N) and Paul walk away, turning back to wave at the group as they wave back, Stilgar saluting them.

Chani watches both with careful eyes as her friend turns around, grumbling, "I think it's for the best." She notices something. "What's this? You care for him now?"

"He's married," Chani quickly dismisses before she continues after a moment. "They're not like other strangers. He's sincere. She's protective."

As Shishakli looks back, Paul and (Y/N) disappear behind the dunes, gone from their view as they head deeper into the desert.

The night starts to settle in, and the sun slowly starts to get covered by the moons once more. Wind howls and stirs up the sand to ripple in a scaly pattern, and inside the sand, a tiny creature snarls and races about, potentially a baby sandworm.

Or worse, the centipedes Stilgar warned the couple about.

"Stay close to me, alright?" Paul murmurs as he continues performing the sandwalk. 

And yet, he's alone as he continues, the sun dipping down behind the dunes.

On a large dune to his left, another one of the Fremen watches him, remaining crouched as the man ventures alone.

Paul pauses, turning around. "(Y/N)?"

No answer.

His wife has somehow disappeared.

"(Y/N)?" He calls again, but he hears nothing except his own voice. About to call again, he pauses, looking up at the figure who was watching him.

"Jamis," he murmurs.

But the man was dead...

The figure remains still before they slowly move closer, sliding down the sand. They slowly step towards him before--