Home

Date: Dec 21, 2030

1st POV

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

As I heard my clock alarm sound off I groaned in annoyance, as it kept ringing and me wanting to stay in bed longer.

I rolled over and turned off the alarm while also seeing the time.

9:30 P.M.

I closed my eyes and sighed as I swung my legs off the bed and hung my head for a moment while rubbing my eyes and grabbed my phone from the nightstand and unplugged it.

I sighed and got up to move my kitchen, not bothering to turn on the lights as the Christmas lights from my neighbors house were bright enough for me to cross my room. I reached my kitchen and turned on the lights as I squinted my eyes from the immediate brightness.

I opened my cabinet to grab my mug and filled it up with water at the sink then went to the microwave to heat it up for 1 minute and 30 seconds. I went back to the cabinet to grab some crushed up coffee beans that were inside a mini glass jar and some sugar.

As I placed the two jars down I heard the microwave beep, signaling that it was finished. I walked over and opened the microwave and grabbed the mug by its handle and brought it over to the counter. I walked over to the fridge to grab my jug of milk that was almost halfway done. 

“Need to buy more soon,” I said quietly as I settled the milk on the counter.

*Ring* *Ring* 

I pulled my phone from out of my pocket to see it was my long-time best friend Henry calling me.

Henry: “Hey, Farley,” he said with a mellow and tired voice. “ready for your first day, man?”

“Oh hey Henry, yeah I guess I am ready and kinda nervous to be honest.” I said with tiredness.

Henry: “Oh, don’t worry man, you’ll be fine. I was nervous myself too when first starting.” He says reassuringly.

“If you say so.” I said as I finished up making my coffee.

Henry: “Anyways, I am almost done with my afternoon shift, you’ll have to clock in sooner since this is your first day. Remember you’ll have someone to give you a tour to a majority of the facility since you have a higher clearance level. Hell, your clearance level is higher than mine man!” He said, sounding sarcastically whiny at the end.

“Yep, that’s because I actually earned it.” I said sarcastically.

Henry: “Whatever you say, man.” He yawned at the last bit. “But I gotta get off the call now, my phone is almost dead, I’ll wait for you by the entrance to guide you in, then I am heading straight to my house and off to bed, cya man.”

 “Alright, see you soon Henry” I said looking outside my window as snow continued to fall, seemingly never ending.

*BEEP*