001

August 1st

here i am... standing in front of my 'old house' taking in the surroundings one final time.. the pretty flowers in the front of the house me and my mom planted when i was 10 years old, the tire swing swaying in the wind, the ugly bright red front door my mom insisted to have for her 38th birthday...
"shane.." my friend zoey says from in front of me.
my eyes taking one last internal snapshot going from her, to my parents loading up our car with suitcases, to the house, to the giant red 'For Sale' sign stuck in the middle of the lawn, and then back to her. "yeah zoe?" i choked out, deciding to ignore the lump in my throat and the hot tears threatening to erupt from my eyes.

"i'm going to miss you so much..." she said voice just above a whisper, wiping her reddening eyes. "i'm going to miss you so much more zoe.." i said quieter then her tone. right as i finished speaking my eyes gave way, like a floodgate i started unconditionally crying and sprung into my best friends arms for a hug. zoey had no hesitation to wrap her arms around me as well, allowing ourselves to cry into each others arms.

as he hugged, i couldn't seem to process the fact we are leaving our seemingly perfect neighborhood with my family, friends, and memories to go to some town in boston... i'm going to have to make new friends, start a new school, and get used to a new house for what purpose? i've asked all this to my parents, but when i do they just tell me "things will be better for us in boston" and i don't know what they mean by all that... why and who the fuck gave them permission to be so ominous!?

a loud car honk snaps me into my seemingly crumbling reality again, "come on kid, we gotta he going" my dad shouts from inside the car, causing me break away from zoey with a sad smile and damp cheeks, which i wiped immediately. "see ya later alligator" zoey said with the same sad smile "in a while crocodile" i said while walking to the car. me and zoey promised when we were in second grade that if one of us ever had to move away we had to say that one another, no doubt about it.

i got in the backseat of my dads car, and patted our family dog frankie. "you ready darling?" my mom asked from the passenger seat, to which i only nodded and pulled up the hood of my sweatshirt. as we started driving out of the neighborhood i lay my cheek on cold window and desperately try and force myself to take in all the small details about it, despite already knowing i'd most likely forget them within a week... the only thing that really stands out to me is seeing my sad best friend walking to her house, i have to look away before i start bawling like a baby again.

i went into my bag and grabbed my headphones and start listening to music, hoping it will make this long ass drive somewhat shorter...

____________________________________

A/n

a little bit of a sad first chapter... and it's super short buttt that's okay, gotta start somewhere right? 😭

hope you having an amazing day/night
and i love you ❤️

-Averie