CHAPTER 1: IN THE ROOM

At last. In the only room Arlo could afford. It was small, but still, better than a friend's basement. The two of them made a deal, and Arlo paid upfront, which was uncommon for the customers at Raena's B&B. Normally, they would wait until the last minute to pay. Raena didn't dare question it, though. She didn't want any more conversation with this man. She turned around to leave, but Arlo grabbed her arm, stopping her.

She whipped her head over her shoulder angrily, not willing to stay with someone she so despised. Much to her surprise, but also happiness, Arlo let go of her arm. But he still didn't let her leave just yet. He had a question. Or maybe a few. Raena sighed, her curiosity nagging at her, screaming at her to get her to stay. She stood in front of Arlo, never taking her eyes off him. "What? What questions could a useless, trashy, dusty-ass man like you have for me?"
"First of all, rude," Arlo hissed back, "I was just trying to get to know the person who runs this place, alright?"
"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."
"Second of all, what compelled you to start this business?"
"Money."
"I figured."
"Now, I've got a question for you, Arlo. What compels you to look like you just got tossed in a scrapyard?"
"Also money. I work in peoples' yards. Cleaning 'em up, making sure the ground is level, y'know?"
"Well, that doesn't mean you need to look like that."
"Oh, my skin? Yeah, I get it. That's not dust or anything. The people here are just... dull. And if you stay here too long, you'll end up like that, too."
"... What?"
"..."
"Why?"
"..."
"What do you mean, I'll end up dull?"
"..."
"ARLO!"
"WHA- ... oh. Sorry, what'd you say?"
"What do you mean I'll end up dull?!"
"Oh, yeah. That just happens. Maybe it's the weather. As you've probably noticed, we don't get too much sun around here."
"Yeah, but you look..."
"Worse than everyone else? I'm not exactly in the best condition right now, okay?"
"I mean, you-"
"Please leave."
"... What?"
"I wanna try and sleep, alright? You can go now. Goodbye."
"... Goodbye, Arlo."

Raena shut the door behind her and walked silently back to her desk. She sat in her chair, thinking deeply. She wondered what Arlo meant. Why was everyone dull? Why was Raena going to turn out ashy and lifeless like everyone else? Why was Arlo not in the best condition?

And why was Raena starting to care? She knew she wasn't in love with Arlo. Ever since she was twelve, Raena knew she was into girls. Arlo wasn't a girl. Maybe it was how pitiful and pathetic he had looked when telling her all those things about himself. Maybe it was the feeling of dread that rose within her, the feeling that there were secrets hidden within this shitty town.

AUTHOR NOTE:
Please keep in mind that when I say Arlo and Raena are not in love with each other, I mean it. This story is not romantic.